Super Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

No. 

Respected Contributor

Can't imagine wearing anything next to my skin that has not been washed.  Too many dyes, pesticides, and who knows where the material has been (on fllty floors for example) or who has tried them on with what skin conditions, etc.

The only thing I would wear without washing would be jackets or coats meant to be worn over blouses or sweaters. But if they do not have to be dry cleaned I would still wash them first.  Also because I would want to know how they looked after washing while they could still be returned if they were not satsifactory after washing.

There are so many chemicals on material since they are now mostly being manufactured overseas and shipped I want what I am wearing to be free of sprayed on pesticides or excess dye.

Esteemed Contributor

No

Respected Contributor

I never did but then I read an article on the Internet saying you should.   And even if no one has tried on the clothing you don't really know where anyone's hands have been.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Do you launder newly purchased clothes before you wear them? 

I don't know anyone who does, but I've done it for years .. don't know why - maybe I had a bad experience.

Anyway, do you ...?

I always do.  I don't wash sweaters, jackets, etc. but pretty much everything else goes in the washer before it's worn.  That includes sheets and towels.

Esteemed Contributor

Everything new gets washed. Just what I do. Started this when I had babies. When I bought my daughter new sheets / pillow cases, I washed them before I gave them to her so she could use them right away.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

No.

My mother taught me to wash certain things before wearing/using, for a specific reason (fabric “sizing” and similar) because of how it will feel against your skin until you do wash it. I haven’t seen much that fits that description for quite a few years now.

For fear of it being unclean/unsanitary? Never, ever. I’m just not that paranoid.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I wash every thing that is cloth before I wear it, use it.  Most of the stuff comes from 3rd world countries with lots of strange bugs and hard to tell what or who has handled the material.  Also several years ago I worked a PT Christmas job in a nice upscale dept. store.  A mom and bratty son were "shopping" and brat went around licking all the sleeves of the ladies blouses.  You should see some of the people that try on clothes, nasty just plain nasty.  So ladies wash everything before you or your family uses it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

Always, can't imagine using the things without washing first. yuk!

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I wash every thing that is cloth before I wear it, use it.  Most of the stuff comes from 3rd world countries with lots of strange bugs and hard to tell what or who has handled the material.  Also several years ago I worked a PT Christmas job in a nice upscale dept. store.  A mom and bratty son were "shopping" and brat went around licking all the sleeves of the ladies blouses.  You should see some of the people that try on clothes, nasty just plain nasty.  So ladies wash everything before you or your family uses it.

========================

Okay, I'm convinced.  That does that!

No questions asked.

Thanks.  (eyeroll, SMH)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."