Respected Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

Most things, yes. Things that need to be dry cleaned, or things like sweaters and jackets, no. I also wash new linens before using them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I don't.  Years ago when I shopped the sales racks of b&m stores, I did because as my mom once hilariously said "a thousand axx's have been in those pants".  I shop online now and everything comes to me in pristine condition.  I don't see the point in washing new clothing.  

Respected Contributor

Depends on the clothes.

Shirts, jeans, pants, sweaters, outerwear:

If they look new, or  like they were just put out on the rack (and you can pretty much tell), then all I do is spray them with lavender hydrosol (a disinfectant) and air dry them, iron if need be, and put away.

Underwear, bathing suits, nightgowns, socks:  yes, they get laundered first.

If I buy something that looks like it's been tried on a few times, fallen on the floor, or is wrinkled and stuffed in a bag when it comes to me, then I wash it, no matter what it is.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't.  Years ago when I shopped the sales racks of b&m stores, I did because as my mom once hilariously said "a thousand axx's have been in those pants".  I shop online now and everything comes to me in pristine condition.  I don't see the point in washing new clothing.  

Me too.  

Honored Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I had never heard about washing jeans with white vinegar. I will try that the next time.

@ajsidney12  Use cold water wash and rinse. 

Trusted Contributor

I always wash everything I buy.  Most of the clothing comes from overseas. You do not  know the sanitary conditions who is handling the clothing, chemicals that are in the material plus bugs. You have no idea in other countries where the stuff comes from. I would rather be safe and wash them. Sheets and towels,underwear would be my first priority.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes...i wash all my new clothes before i wear them....and also home goods,towels,sheets, etc.

When  young...my brother wore a pair of jeans without washing them...and got a bad reaction to the dye...we had to bring him to the doctor for medicine..........i think that instilled in me to wash EVERYTHING before wearing!!

Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart wrote:

No, I never have. Nothing bad has happened,  and I've lived a long time.

It's just a waste of water and electricity...not to mention our time 

Honored Contributor

I wash all the knits I buy to remove the sizing.  Knits fit/drape/hang better after their first wash.    

All new sheets, towels ... jeans ... just about everything washable ... I run through the washing machine with some washing soda and detergent to remove the sizing and soften the fabrics.

Super Contributor

Years ago, I worked in a sewing factory. Most everything that was bundled to go between seamstresses for the next application was thrown on the factory floor. I'm sure plenty of mice, roaches, etc. walked over a lot of the clothes. Also, I'm sure many employees went to the restroom and didn't wash, then continued to work. Yuk. I've always washed everything. I also cleaned houses for a time, and was surprised how many women put unwashed new sheets on the bed, and the worst was when one lady bought new kitchen towels, and put them straight into the drawer without washing. Couldn't believe it!!