Esteemed Contributor

Re: Old Habit - Washing new store bought clothes

No, I don't unless care instructions say to wash before wearing. If it's obviously been worn or is soiled, has perfume or chemical odor, I wont buy it.
But a friend of mine who has a wide range of severe allergies does wash everything first.
Honored Contributor

It depends on what it is.  I have some weird (by many standards) routines when it comes to material.

I used to sew a lot of my clothes.  You wash the material BEFORE you start using it.  

Most clothing has some formaldehyde in it.  If possible it is best to wash them before you wear them.  Women I know who've worked in fabric stores have long complained of headaches and not feeling well after spending many hours in the stores.

Look here!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

It's used in many, many things.

Honored Contributor

If I keep the clothes, I wash first. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends. Yes I launder bras, underwear, pjs, blue jeans, sheets, towels. Sweaters, tops, socks, jackets, bed quilts no.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Do you launder newly purchased clothes before you wear them? 

I don't know anyone who does, but I've done it for years .. don't know why - maybe I had a bad experience.

Anyway, do you ...?

@RinaRina  Coincidence. Just mentioned this the Breezies TSV day. Always launder new panties/ bras/ swimsuits...anything that could have been tried on touching “private” parts. I also wash towels and sheets before use because I don’t like the sizing they use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I always wash all new clothes before wearing.

Super Contributor

I wash everything before using or wearing.  I'd wash shoes if I could! 

I had a bad reaction to unwashed jeans probably 30 years ago and it stuck with me.  It was a painful rash that took days to alleviate.  Plus, I hate the chemical smells on things. 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

Clothes, no.  For some reason, I've always liked the feel of new clothes.  Once they are washed, they are no longer new.

Sheets and towels are an entirely different situation.

Honored Contributor

I have clothing that I have had for years and have never washed, but I have a lot of clothes.I haves jeans especially, I have never washed and they are like new. I do wash new sheets and towels first, but that's about it. I forgot, I do wash pjs and underwear because of the sizing they use on the fabric. I'm allergic to it I think.

Honored Contributor

I wash all clothing, sheets, towels, etc before wearing or using because of the pesticides they are sprayed with entering the US.