Honored Contributor

OMG! ROOT CANAL!!!

[ Edited ]

Anyone remember my Fear of Dentists thread? Well the worst nightmare ever came true!! I had to have a root canal on Tuesday. DH had to drive because I had said "No sedation, No appointment"!!!

Once they gave me a pill to feel a little sleepy and take the "edge" off, I put on my ear buds (hearing aids out), plugged into music on my cell. Then brought my big furry grey ear muffs to further block the sound of the drill. Made him promise no photos on Instagram. When I was situated, I gave him the thumbs up for the nitrous!! Ahhhh! Next thing I remember, he was rubbing my shoulder, handing me a small bottle of water and 3 Advil. DH took me home, worked from his study upstairs and I slept most of the afternoon except buzzing him for "service"...applesauce, oatmeal, ginger ale and then back to sleep. 

So, I have to go back to have xrays on 12/17 to check the molar which has a crown to see if it's in tact and maybe do what he called "polishing"...I call it the drill again. Oh yeah, definitely requested the pill and nitrous. Only way to go!!! DH will have to drive and stay w/ me again after sedation, but hey, I'd do it for him. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Anyone remember my Fear of Dentists thread? Well the worst nightmare ever came true!! I had to have a root canal on Tuesday. DH had to drive because I had said "No sedation, No appointment"!!!

Once they gave me a pill to feel a little sleepy and take the "edge" off, I put on my ear buds (hearing aids out), plugged into music on my cell. Then brought my big furry grey ear muffs to further block the sound of the drill. Made him promise no photos on Instagram. When I was situated, I gave him the thumbs up for the nitrous!! Ahhhh! Next thing I remember, he was rubbing my shoulder, handing me a small bottle of water and 3 Advil. DH took me home, worked from his study upstairs and I slept most of the afternoon except buzzing him for "service"...applesauce, oatmeal, ginger ale and then back to sleep. 

So, I have to go back to have xrays on 12/17 to check the molar which has a crown to see if it's in tact and maybe do what he called "polishing"...I call it the drill again. Oh yeah, definitely requested the pill and nitrous. Only way to go!!! DH will have to drive and stay w/ me again after sedation, but hey, I'd do it for him. 

Shanus I have had so many crowns and root canals that I don’t sweat them at all..My biggest fear is tooth pulling which I had done this year.That went so easy I don’t know why I had the fear.There really is no pain involved just fear..I just have regular freezings with no added meds.I want to be in control.I am happy that it went well for you.Your next visit will be simple...so try not to sweat it.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus 

Well those ARE two dreaded words: "root canal" 😩. Glad you got through that ok!! It's behind you. Yayyyy.

I have to say though, dentistry in general has come a LONG way and the last endodontist I went to for a root canal, wow put me at ease and was super efficient. It was over in no time. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

so glad to hear you made it through the experience, and it sounds like you did all the right things!  congrats on mission accomplished! 

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@Shanus 

Well those ARE two dreaded words: "root canal" 😩. Glad you got through that ok!! It's behind you. Yayyyy.

I have to say though, dentistry in general has come a LONG way and the last endodontist I went to for a root canal, wow put me at ease and was super efficient. It was over in no time. 

@LoveMyBaby   Guess it was over in no time. I was out cold! When I woke up, even had a blanket on me. For what they charge, should have been a Barefoot Dreams throw to take home. 😂
Honored Contributor

I can relate, I am a certified dental phobic myself.  What's up about the photos on Instagram?????   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can relate, I am a certified dental phobic myself.  What's up about the photos on Instagram?????   

@chrystaltree   I'm sure I looked absolutely ridiculous with the ear buds hanging down underneath huge grey furry ear muffs...Even the dentist was laughing watching me get ready. I was kidding not take photos that could go viral. 🤪

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree   I'm sure I looked absolutely ridiculous with the ear buds hanging down underneath huge grey furry ear muffs...Even the dentist was laughing watching me get ready. I was kidding not take photos that could go viral. 🤪

That's funny.  I was thinking that maybe there was something in the news about a dentist posting pics of patients on Instagram and I missed it.  Because I'm always looking for reason not to go to the dentist...LOL

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@Shanus 

@LoveMyBaby   Guess it was over in no time. I was out cold! When I woke up, even had a blanket on me. For what they charge, should have been a Barefoot Dreams throw to take home. 😂

🤣🤣🤣 Isn't that the truth! I don't care how many great dental experiences I have I STILL fear and dread it. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I'd rather go to the OB-GYN than go to the dentist.  Glad things went well for you  @Shanus