Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I'd rather go to the OB-GYN than go to the dentist.  Glad things went well for you  @Shanus 

@Mom2Dogs   The dentist said everyone hears they'd rather have" ...." than a root canal so it makes the fear worse than it is. I say BS to that.

Esteemed Contributor

Makes me queasey just thinking about it. I don't like having dental work done either. I am so glad this is over for you and it wasn't a horrible experience. If you do need anything else done, I hope it goes as well as the root canal did for you.

Honored Contributor

OMG you talked yourself into your panic attack!! When I got my root canal, I drove myself, got it done, drove home and life went on as normal! I surely didn't need anyone "taking care" of me. I've never been the type to be a baby about getting things done.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

my goodness @Shanus!  I have had at least 7 root canals. Just novocaine. No pain meds should be necessary... Tylenol if even that.   I think your fear is getting out of hand unless your dentist is a bad one. 

Honored Contributor

By the way @Shanus , once your root canal is completed, the tooth has no nerve so it can't hurt.  You really don't need all that rigamarole for "polishing".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! ROOT CANAL!!!

[ Edited ]

I just had one in early Sept. after the abscess tooth started the first week of Aug.  I was put on four rounds of antibiotics and it was also opened up to expose the root to pour the medicine straight on the infected root.  Then it had a bit of cotton put in then closed with putty.  This was all to try to get infection gone and finally be able to do the root canal.  After the canal we decided not to put the final filling in because we were leery of the root canal failing.  I was still a bit swollen.   This all went on for about two months but we saved the tooth. It was one of my very front upper ones.  What a nightmare.  Labor Day weekend was right after the root canal and the Dentist made sure I had all his personal/cell phone numbers and they even called me Tues. morning after to tell me they had set time aside in case I needed to come in.  I did not need it and kept my scheduled appt. to put the permanent filling.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I assume everyone has their own fears.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OMG you talked yourself into your panic attack!! When I got my root canal, I drove myself, got it done, drove home and life went on as normal! I surely didn't need anyone "taking care" of me. I've never been the type to be a baby about getting things done.

@ID2   Thanks for making me feel comfortable sharing here.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

my goodness @Shanus!  I have had at least 7 root canals. Just novocaine. No pain meds should be necessary... Tylenol if even that.   I think your fear is getting out of hand unless your dentist is a bad one. 

@SeaMaiden   Really?!?! 

Honored Contributor

I have had 2 root canals, both a piece of cake, no pain, and no sedation.