Honored Contributor

I had my first root canal last year.  I had heard so many horror stories about root canals that I was pretty nervous when I drove myself to the endodonist.  He was entertaining and charming - time passed really fast and I drove myself home.  Only anesthesia was some Novocaine.  If I need another one I am definitely going back to the same dentist.  

Honored Contributor

Honestly, the numbing shots are worse than the procedure.  I didn't think it was a big deal. 

Honored Contributor

@customerqvc2 wrote:

Because my tooth had had a crack in the filling that wasn't obvious, I had an infected tooth going into the root canal.  So, they had to do my root canal in stages of three visits.  The first one was just getting the old filling out and packing the tooth with antibiotic (and I took antibiotics by mouth, too).  The second was just taking the roots out, and the third was putting the tooth in shape to intall the final crown.  I really never experienced any pain at all, really.  I drove myself to all the appointments and went shopping afterward.  I am so sorry your fear drove you to have to sedate and miss a whole day while recuperating in bed.  Luckily, it's all behind you now.

@customerqvc2   I'm thinking he drilled a hole for antibiotics, too and that's the purpose of going back for the next appt. None by mouth. The root was dead and the crown is fine...no need to replace it, just take the meds out unless it dissolves. I ask as few questions as possible. BTW, I wouldn't have gone w/o knowing I'd be sedated. Sleeping it off was a small price to pay for being "out" during the ordeal. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Honestly, the numbing shots are worse than the procedure.  I didn't think it was a big deal. 

@GenXmuse   It's 3 days later and that area and ligaments where lips stretched, held in place away from gums to get to do back molar, still painful. Last night, first time able to be wear night guard. Didn't feel numbing shots. 

Honored Contributor

Re: OMG! ROOT CANAL!!!

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

I had my first root canal last year.  I had heard so many horror stories about root canals that I was pretty nervous when I drove myself to the endodonist.  He was entertaining and charming - time passed really fast and I drove myself home.  Only anesthesia was some Novocaine.  If I need another one I am definitely going back to the same dentist.  

@DiAnne   My endodontist was a peach. Never met before first appt. a few weeks ago to take xrays, look at my meds, discuss sedation and talk about where this fear originated. He assured me he wouldn't begin until I felt comfortable and to hold up a finger anytime something bothered me. He was quite impressed that I overcame fear enough to keep up with my dental health every 6 months, have braces at 40 (too afraid as a teen) and go on to have full mouth veneers done about 12 yrs. ago. That was w/ sedation, as well...7 hrs. in the chair twice. That was a little easier since cosmetic dentist was in VA and DD (my personal hygienist Lol) worked for him. She took the day off to act as his assistant so I felt a little more at ease. She knows my fears, held my hand until asleep, woke me for potty breaks, etc. Why veneers? The brackets from the braces left stains on my teeth. They were straight, lined up beautifully, but the staining made me self-conscious. My veneers are nice and white and don't stain...not w/ coffee, red wine, etc. like teeth can. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: OMG! ROOT CANAL!!!

[ Edited ]

Dear @Shanus ,

So happy you had such a positive outcome!

Piece of cake, am I right? Smiley LOL

dee

ETA:

Chuckling at your DH's "service"?

May I rent him out in January when I have Step 1 of my 1st and hopefully only dental implant? Smiley Very Happy

@Shanus wrote:

Anyone remember my Fear of Dentists thread? Well the worst nightmare ever came true!! I had to have a root canal on Tuesday. DH had to drive because I had said "No sedation, No appointment"!!!

Once they gave me a pill to feel a little sleepy and take the "edge" off, I put on my ear buds (hearing aids out), plugged into music on my cell. Then brought my big furry grey ear muffs to further block the sound of the drill. Made him promise no photos on Instagram. When I was situated, I gave him the thumbs up for the nitrous!! Ahhhh! Next thing I remember, he was rubbing my shoulder, handing me a small bottle of water and 3 Advil. DH took me home, worked from his study upstairs and I slept most of the afternoon except buzzing him for "service"...applesauce, oatmeal, ginger ale and then back to sleep. 

So, I have to go back to have xrays on 12/17 to check the molar which has a crown to see if it's in tact and maybe do what he called "polishing"...I call it the drill again. Oh yeah, definitely requested the pill and nitrous. Only way to go!!! DH will have to drive and stay w/ me again after sedation, but hey, I'd do it for him. 

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Dear @Shanus ,

So happy you had such a positive outcome!

Piece of cake, am I right? Smiley LOL

dee

@Shanus wrote:

Anyone remember my Fear of Dentists thread? Well the worst nightmare ever came true!! I had to have a root canal on Tuesday. DH had to drive because I had said "No sedation, No appointment"!!!

Once they gave me a pill to feel a little sleepy and take the "edge" off, I put on my ear buds (hearing aids out), plugged into music on my cell. Then brought my big furry grey ear muffs to further block the sound of the drill. Made him promise no photos on Instagram. When I was situated, I gave him the thumbs up for the nitrous!! Ahhhh! Next thing I remember, he was rubbing my shoulder, handing me a small bottle of water and 3 Advil. DH took me home, worked from his study upstairs and I slept most of the afternoon except buzzing him for "service"...applesauce, oatmeal, ginger ale and then back to sleep. 

So, I have to go back to have xrays on 12/17 to check the molar which has a crown to see if it's in tact and maybe do what he called "polishing"...I call it the drill again. Oh yeah, definitely requested the pill and nitrous. Only way to go!!! DH will have to drive and stay w/ me again after sedation, but hey, I'd do it for him. 

@deedledeedeedle   Yes, for me sedation makes it a piece of cake. 

Trusted Contributor

Just have to comment to the shamers on this post:

Let @Shanus have HER experience! Woman Surprised

No need to slam her for her honest reservations about this first time dental procedure.

Sheesh, so sick and tired of the all-encompassing "transparency" of opinions, however tactless, at every turn these days. We are supposed to be "among friends" and not members of the Nanny state.

JMO

dee

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012 ,

Wow, you need a service medal for all that rigmarole. I am impressed. Smiley Wink

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Just have to comment to the shamers on this post:

Let @Shanus have HER experience! Woman Surprised

No need to slam her for her honest reservations about this first time dental procedure.

Sheesh, so sick and tired of the all-encompassing "transparency" of opinions, however tactless, at every turn these days. We are supposed to be "among friends" and not members of the Nanny state.

JMO

dee

@deedledeedeedle   Thank you. Some of the negative responses does make me and others less comfortable sharing anything personal here. Among Friends? Only sometimes and you never know who your friends really are. It's not only shaming, but borders on bullying.