Honored Contributor

Re: My Prediction After all This is Settled Down is....

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 

I agree with you for sure. When a person reaches the stage you mentioned, either themselves or their loved ones, should make sure they seek a Professional. That person(s) can make the diagnosis and decide what course is best for the one afflicted.

From my own experiences, there is no easy way for one to work through these types of afflictions. Being diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder, I will never consider myself cured, always as recovering.

Stay safe and stay well 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Last week on the news here they were saying just this same thing! Saying many will have PTSD Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Yes, I too feel that anyone who is currently struggling mentally with this pandemic situation will continue to feel high levels of anxiety and depression for many days into the future.

Once the viral threat eases, I expect we will still be struggling economically.   Store inventories will not just miraculously return to normal.   We will adapt to shortages, and the loss of some brands altogether.   I expect we will read more posts from excited friends here over finding something in the grocery store that disappeared in the early days of the pandemic.   

Each of us will be changed in some way by the coronavirus pandemic of 2020.    

Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@emmygrace wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

the mental health field professionals will see people with PTSD due to the stresses of this pandemic.  Economic, social, and emotional issues will have lasting effects on most people, but some people will need professional help for the trauma they are experiencing at this time.

So, even after the pandemic is under control, we need to be cognizant of friends or family who don't seem able to "bounce back".  

JMO.

Absolutely. If anyone is having issues now and they would like help, there are counselors who are doing online appointments and appointments over the phone.

I was already in counseling, after the death of our beloved and much wanted preemie granddaughter in January. She was our first grandchild, oh how we wanted her. The counselor and I just started talking on the phone after coronavirus.

To the poster who replied "oh good grief" to the opening post, my husband is one of the many essential employees (as are both my kids) but where my dh works there has been at least 4 positive covid people and more are off work for symptoms and they haven't got their results yet. People can die of this. I worry about all of them, especially dh he has no underlying health issues, he is over 50, working very long hours and its very worrisome. 

So, oh good grief, empathy is a nice thing to have. I definetely think mental health will be in high demand. And I hope all who need it can get it.

@happycat  For that person, and those who hearted her post, someone's adage here was "consider the source."  😗 Typical reply.

I am so sorry about your granddaughter~Heart

Thank you very much, @emmygrace. It has been devestating. Its been one of those things when I think I am better, then I'm  are right back there in the hospital hearing truths that cut so deep, its hard to even breathe.

Of course...I can't even imagine!!! Smiley SadHeart

Valued Contributor

I personally know people (some in my own family) who will definitely not just "get over this."  It is the scariest, most stressful time ever in most of our lives.   Thank heaven for the mental health professionals.  

How anyone can say "Oh good grief" and minimalize how some are coping is sad.

I don't know if we will ever be able to ease up and say :"it's over."  I won't feel that way until there is a proven vaccine and cure.

Esteemed Contributor

We are in a crisis situation and some will need crisis counseling. I can't imagine putting your life on the line so life can go on as closely to normal as possible for society. This is a huge weight to carry. For many civilians, being 'essential' is as close as we'll come to serving in war time. For the flip commenters and naysayers - It's not the same as being at war - don't jump on my comments and run away with this. Bottom line, some people will benefit by talking to a confidential therapist.

Financial struggles and losses are bad for marriages. Marriage counseling will be in order. And Grief counseling will be needed for loss of loved ones and even loss of career or homes or personal dreams. 

Anxious people will need to deal with emotional triggers, trust issues and fears.

Physical health - loss of sleep - worry. It all takes its toll. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Yes the casualties will be far beyond those who died from the virus.

Economic devastation, victims of domestic violence, alcohol and drug abuse, mental health issues, suicides.

It's fine to say - oh we just need to stay home to flatten the curve and we're all in this together - but that is just not reality for an awful lot of people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@wismiss   So true.  Too many people are amusing themselves by drinking wine or other alcohol daily and it sure could be a huge issue after this is all over and the habit stays with them.   From talking with friends and neighbors, I found many who are having anxiety issues  when  having to go out and that might not go away but become their norm if they do not seek help.

=============================================

- Anxiety ... That's me!

I had a root canal done on March 3rd and my jaw hasn't been right since.

I'd posted here that the Endo had broken one of my teeth AND part of her instrument broke in my canal -- and she couldn't get it out!  It's been there since March 3rd.

After "waiting" for a month for my jaw to "settle down" (it didn't), I emailed my dentist on Monday (April 6) and told him what happened.  He offered to see me on an emergency basis.

Guess what?  I changed the app't 3 times because my anxiety attacks were so bad.

Yesterday, I told him forget it!

I'm sorry you're going through this.  

My situation isn't painful but still....  I had one cataract fixed March 3.  I was supposed to have the other fixed on March 19.  I was the very first patient my eye surgeon had to cancel because of the pandemic.  I desperately need glasses for the second eye but my prescription changed significantly for the fixed eye.  I'm stuck seeing awkwardly until the surgery can be done.  I popped the lens out of the fixed eye side so I can see distance better but I can't see up close.  Very strange feeling.  It gives me headaches but that's nothing like having a piece stuck in a tooth.

Honored Contributor

@colover wrote:

Yeah I can see that happening cause we've turned into a weak, woo is me country. Our forefathers should be embarrassed. We have such a cushy life compared to their struggles.

@colover   Really? Whatever "cushy" lives most of us may have had could be in jeopardy. No one should feel guilty for doing whatever it takes now to get them through an awful time. If in need of help, it will be available later. Our forefathers would not be embarrassed. They would be proud that we're standing strong and banding together to follow directives helping to diminish deaths and the spread of this pandemic. They did not have the research, scientists, medical care and advancements we do now to save the lives that are possible. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Hoping most people bounce back quickly, but some will certainly have a harder time. I think delaying funeral and memorial services could be difficult as it rekindles all those emotions. Plus, some people will worry that they couldn't honor the wishes of deceased loved ones who had specific arrangements pre-planned.

@AuntG  From what I'm hearing, it's a big issue that people with relatives in nursing homes are helpless. They can no longer visit. The patients are waiting alone and in most case are in higher percentages of death rates. Knowing your parents, for instance, will die alone is frightening. My Mom died last March, in a nursing home. We were visiting constantly. Awful to say, but I'm so glad she's not still alive  in that home waiting to die alone.