Honored Contributor

Re: My Prediction After all This is Settled Down is....

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@wismiss   So true.  Too many people are amusing themselves by drinking wine or other alcohol daily and it sure could be a huge issue after this is all over and the habit stays with them.   From talking with friends and neighbors, I found many who are having anxiety issues  when  having to go out and that might not go away but become their norm if they do not seek help.

=============================================

- Anxiety ... That's me!

I had a root canal done on March 3rd and my jaw hasn't been right since.

I'd posted here that the Endo had broken one of my teeth AND part of her instrument broke in my canal -- and she couldn't get it out!  It's been there since March 3rd.

After "waiting" for a month for my jaw to "settle down" (it didn't), I emailed my dentist on Monday (April 6) and told him what happened.  He offered to see me on an emergency basis.

Guess what?  I changed the app't 3 times because my anxiety attacks were so bad.

Yesterday, I told him forget it!

@RinaRina  Confused w/ 3 posters, but guess it's you w/ root canal. I posted here about 6 months ago my dental fears and needed root canal that took 6 appts. including a periodontist w/ xrays, etc. I finally made arrangements for nitrous so I got it over with. DD, the hygienist, said if not fixed, I'd lose the tooth and have more issues than I can imagine. Please ask for some type of sedation, even a mild tranquilizer and get the tooth finished. If I can get through it it w/ dental phobias since childhood, anyone can. Be thinking about you. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I are retired and we're doing OK. However, my children, my niece, and grandchildren do not know what will happen to their health and financial status. My granddaughter's college graduation was canceled. Worse, she cannot look for a job. One of my daughters had to furlough the employees in her company. My son-in-law had to do the same. My grandson had to postpone his wedding and his fiancée, a nurse, is doing triage at a hospital in Baltimore. Good grief doesn't even begin to describe what Americans are facing.

Trusted Contributor

There is no doubt that this epidemic will live its mark on all of our psyches. Even those people who don't have emotional or substance abuse problems will remember this time for the rest of their lives. This is a group trauma, like the 1918 Spanish Flu Epidemic, the Great Depression, and 9/11, and other world-changing events that change the way people look at life. It's humbling experience to realize that we do not control our own lives. That is a very hard concept for most people to understand and accept. We can decide how to play the hand, but we're not the one who deals the cards.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My husband and I are retired and we're doing OK. However, my children, my niece, and grandchildren do not know what will happen to their health and financial status. My granddaughter's college graduation was canceled. Worse, she cannot look for a job. One of my daughters had to furlough the employees in her company. My son-in-law had to do the same. My grandson had to postpone his wedding and his fiancée, a nurse, is doing triage at a hospital in Baltimore. Good grief doesn't even begin to describe what Americans are facing.

@Vivian   We're near retirement, but DH self employed (death & taxes like they say). DD laid off when dentist closed office, but her DH working from home. My DS able to continue working from home, but DIL laid off as teacher and home with my granddaughters homeschooling. Down to one income in each household and using some of their savings. We'll help out if needed and postpone our retirement. 

Honored Contributor

@colover wrote:

Yeah I can see that happening cause we've turned into a weak, woo is me country. Our forefathers should be embarrassed. We have such a cushy life compared to their struggles.

Funny, but my definition of "weak" in this context is very different from yours. @colover.

To me, "weak" means fearful of expressing empathy, of being introspective, and of admitting that you are human, with all the emotions that come with that.

People in this "weak" catorgory can easily become walking time bombs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss 

I agree with some of your "predictions". I however think most people are mentally stronger than some might think. Sure, I believe many, even most lives will change, but I think some might use the term "PTSD", and it is just anxiety, not a true mental illness.

Being one that has been through the worst of mental issues, and I still consider myself as "recovering". True diagnosed mental illness, can only be known by those who have lived and/or experienced it. I do not see that happening.

I will leave the predicting to those that have all the info on what happens in the future. My base of true knowledge is only from what I hear and have heard.

Stay safe and well. You gave many here pause to think with your thread, and I thank you.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think maybe when I'm feeling overwhelmed and stressed (which does happen rather frequently lately) I will just stand up and say,

"WOO is me". 

That might just make me laugh and lighten things up for a bit.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@wismiss 

I agree with some of your "predictions". I however think most people are mentally stronger than some might think. Sure, I believe many, even most lives will change, but I think some might use the term "PTSD", and it is just anxiety, not a true mental illness.

Being one that has been through the worst of mental issues, and I still consider myself as "recovering". True diagnosed mental illness, can only be known by those who have lived and/or experienced it. I do not see that happening.

I will leave the predicting to those that have all the info on what happens in the future. My base of true knowledge is only from what I hear and have heard.

Stay safe and well. You gave many here pause to think with your thread, and I thank you.

hckynut

I tend to agree, @hckynut, but with one important distinction.

I'm sure that all of us have had moments of anxiety in our lives, minor or major. But for some people, anxiety can be overwhelming and debilitating. In that case, it is most definitely a mental disorder.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

the mental health field professionals will see people with PTSD due to the stresses of this pandemic.  Economic, social, and emotional issues will have lasting effects on most people, but some people will need professional help for the trauma they are experiencing at this time.

So, even after the pandemic is under control, we need to be cognizant of friends or family who don't seem able to "bounce back".  

JMO.

Absolutely. If anyone is having issues now and they would like help, there are counselors who are doing online appointments and appointments over the phone.

I was already in counseling, after the death of our beloved and much wanted preemie granddaughter in January. She was our first grandchild, oh how we wanted her. The counselor and I just started talking on the phone after coronavirus.

To the poster who replied "oh good grief" to the opening post, my husband is one of the many essential employees (as are both my kids) but where my dh works there has been at least 4 positive covid people and more are off work for symptoms and they haven't got their results yet. People can die of this. I worry about all of them, especially dh he has no underlying health issues, he is over 50, working very long hours and its very worrisome. 

So, oh good grief, empathy is a nice thing to have. I definetely think mental health will be in high demand. And I hope all who need it can get it.

@happycat   I'm so sorry for the loss of your granddaughter. It's heartbreaking, to say the least. I'm happy you sought help when you recognized the need. I hope moving forward, the pain lessens for you and your family. 

Thank you very much, @Shanus, I appreciate your kindness. 

Esteemed Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

the mental health field professionals will see people with PTSD due to the stresses of this pandemic.  Economic, social, and emotional issues will have lasting effects on most people, but some people will need professional help for the trauma they are experiencing at this time.

So, even after the pandemic is under control, we need to be cognizant of friends or family who don't seem able to "bounce back".  

JMO.

Absolutely. If anyone is having issues now and they would like help, there are counselors who are doing online appointments and appointments over the phone.

I was already in counseling, after the death of our beloved and much wanted preemie granddaughter in January. She was our first grandchild, oh how we wanted her. The counselor and I just started talking on the phone after coronavirus.

To the poster who replied "oh good grief" to the opening post, my husband is one of the many essential employees (as are both my kids) but where my dh works there has been at least 4 positive covid people and more are off work for symptoms and they haven't got their results yet. People can die of this. I worry about all of them, especially dh he has no underlying health issues, he is over 50, working very long hours and its very worrisome. 

So, oh good grief, empathy is a nice thing to have. I definetely think mental health will be in high demand. And I hope all who need it can get it.

@happycat  For that person, and those who hearted her post, someone's adage here was "consider the source."  😗 Typical reply.

I am so sorry about your granddaughter~Heart

Thank you very much, @emmygrace. It has been devestating. Its been one of those things when I think I am better, then I'm  are right back there in the hospital hearing truths that cut so deep, its hard to even breathe.