Trusted Contributor

My Prediction After all This is Settled Down is....

the mental health field professionals will see people with PTSD due to the stresses of this pandemic.  Economic, social, and emotional issues will have lasting effects on most people, but some people will need professional help for the trauma they are experiencing at this time.

So, even after the pandemic is under control, we need to be cognizant of friends or family who don't seem able to "bounce back".  

JMO.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Re: My Prediction After all This is Settled Down is....

Oh good grief.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss 

Very well said.  Not to mention, with the sales of alcohol up, substance abuse and perhaps domestic violence will increase depending on how long this goes on...

Won't be easy for some to "bounce back".  Not everyone leads a Brady Bunch life.

Denise
Respected Contributor

Very insightful and very important.

Many folks have lost loved ones and friends, perhaps witnessed these deaths, or had sicknesses themselves, and have had other challenges such as loss of job, loss of home, alienation from family, overwhelming work schedule, and so forth.

PTSD is not understood or discussed enough!!

Thank you for the reminder that we must constantly care for each as well as ourselves.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely.  Some will need counseling after this is over which goes without saying.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss   So true.  Too many people are amusing themselves by drinking wine or other alcohol daily and it sure could be a huge issue after this is all over and the habit stays with them.   From talking with friends and neighbors, I found many who are having anxiety issues  when  having to go out and that might not go away but become their norm if they do not seek help.

Super Contributor

Yeah I can see that happening cause we've turned into a weak, woo is me country. Our forefathers should be embarrassed. We have such a cushy life compared to their struggles.

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

the mental health field professionals will see people with PTSD due to the stresses of this pandemic.  Economic, social, and emotional issues will have lasting effects on most people, but some people will need professional help for the trauma they are experiencing at this time.

So, even after the pandemic is under control, we need to be cognizant of friends or family who don't seem able to "bounce back".  

JMO.

Absolutely. If anyone is having issues now and they would like help, there are counselors who are doing online appointments and appointments over the phone.

I was already in counseling, after the death of our beloved and much wanted preemie granddaughter in January. She was our first grandchild, oh how we wanted her. The counselor and I just started talking on the phone after coronavirus.

To the poster who replied "oh good grief" to the opening post, my husband is one of the many essential employees (as are both my kids) but where my dh works there has been at least 4 positive covid people and more are off work for symptoms and they haven't got their results yet. People can die of this. I worry about all of them, especially dh he has no underlying health issues, he is over 50, working very long hours and its very worrisome. 

So, oh good grief, empathy is a nice thing to have. I definetely think mental health will be in high demand. And I hope all who need it can get it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hoping most people bounce back quickly, but some will certainly have a harder time. I think delaying funeral and memorial services could be difficult as it rekindles all those emotions. Plus, some people will worry that they couldn't honor the wishes of deceased loved ones who had specific arrangements pre-planned.

Trusted Contributor

I posted about this on my Facebook page several weeks ago. I suggested that a Bill be enacted to have funding available for the enormous amount of people that will be seeking help for PTSD. The healthcare workers alone....I cannot imagine what they've had to endure...what they've seen....no one could see that level of devastation and not be impacted mentally. This Virus and its impact on everyone will have far reaching consequences for years to come. 

Instead of using money to bailout the airlines or Cruiseship industries, that money would be better served helping our country recover....especially those on the front lines.

And to the poster that posted "good grief" in reply to the OP, I will say a prayer that you can find more empathy in your heart for what many will be facing in the days, months and years to come.