Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Susan Louise 

Years ago QVC sold a gel-filled extra long pillow for sleeping through night sweats and hot flashes.  The gel absorbed the excess body heat and softened as you slept on top of the pillow.  Then you simply turned the pillow over and slept on that side until softened.  Repeat as needed.

i had two of them and when I no longer needed them, I lent them to friends.

Imagine you might find something similar on medical or camping websites, if not on Amazon.   It really worked !!,

@jlkz  I have been using 2 brands of cooling pillows for about 8+ yrs now...

Beautyrest Cool Fusion

Serta Perfect Sleeper Fresh & Cool

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm 65 and never really had a hot flash...so not everyone gets them.  I did however used to suffer a LOT with very bad PMS and cramps which sometimes were so painful that I had to go home from school.  Occasionally I would also get bad menstrual migraines in my 30s & 40s.

I was either 48 or 49 when I got my last period and for me menopause has been liberating!  

ETA:  I want to mention that I don't take any meds for menopause.

@haddon9    Me too!  I'm 60.  I even went to ER a few because it was so bad.

@Mary Bailey   Oh I understand!  Once I was so sick in the 9th grade I tried to go down to the nurse's office in school but it felt like it was a mile away which seemed insurmountable....so I went into the first girl's room on the way and spent two hours in there before I could make my way down to the nurse who promptly called my mother to bring me home. 

Fortunately I didn't have endometriosis and finally outgrew it (BC pills helped in my 20s).  However when I took them after having children they gave me migraines. 

Now I am soooooooooooo happy to feel free from all of that!  I hope you're much better too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

I'm 65 and never really had a hot flash...so not everyone gets them.  I did however used to suffer a LOT with very bad PMS and cramps which sometimes were so painful that I had to go home from school.  Occasionally I would also get bad menstrual migraines in my 30s & 40s.

I was either 48 or 49 when I got my last period and for me menopause has been liberating!  

@Mary Bailey  @haddon9  Count me in on those severe cramps. I had them from my late teens til peri-Men...late 30's.

@haddon9 So, since that is the case, just because someone gets them does not omit them from hot flashes whatsoever.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Mary Bailey  @haddon9  Count me in on those severe cramps. I had them from my late teens til peri-Men...late 30's.

@haddon9 So, since that is the case, just because someone gets them does not omit them from hot flashes whatsoever.

@Susan Louise   Did you get bad menopause symptoms too?  If so I'm sorry to hear that!  I like to say that I paid my dues with PMS and all that goes with it.  For those who suffer with both I am truly sorry for your suffering.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Susan Louise   Did you get bad menopause symptoms too?  If so I'm sorry to hear that!  I like to say that I paid my dues with PMS and all that goes with it.  For those who suffer with both I am truly sorry for your suffering.

@haddon9  Read the 2nd post in this thread Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise   Wow!  You've really been through the mill!  I'm sorry to hear of all of your health issues.  I hope things are much better for you now!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Susan Louise   Wow!  You've really been through the mill!  I'm sorry to hear of all of your health issues.  I hope things are much better for you now!

@haddon9  Would you believe for the next 2 years after that in succession I had 2 more major health issues?

2004 - lung cancer surgery

2005 - full hysterectomy

2006 - bladder operation

2007 - broken leg

Now I am fine...lost nearly 60 lbs since last September. I started gaining all the weight when all these issues started. 

Although I still dream...If only the hot flashes would end Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart great input!  One thing I always do is take cool showers.  I live in Hawaii & don't think I've taken a hot shower since I left Texas 10 years ago.  The year-round warm weather is not as great as some people think.  I never have a chance to get good & cold.  My life is surrounded by AC & fans...there's no shortage there...HA!  Anyhoo, I'll get through it.

Thanks again for the input!  Aloha!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise   Oh my!  You certainly had more than your share!

I hope you continue to feel good and stay well.  On the upbeat congratulations on your weight loss!  I know how difficult that is.  I need to lose myself.

Honored Contributor

I had hot and cold falshes but not too bad. They only lasted about 4 years. Everyone is different. I never took anything.