Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Salesman

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I'll be 65 in September (already received my card) and I had the same thing happen last week, but didn't open the door since I didn't recognize her.

She knocked and rang the doorbell repeatedly on both of my doors.

I was in bed very sick that day and didn't want to have to get up to see what was so urgent for all that knocking/ringing at both doors.

She left a generic card saying that she had an "urgent matter" to discuss with me, leaving just her first name and cell phone #.

I called her back only to find that the "urgent matter" was trying to sell me Medicare supplemental insurance.

These people don't work for Medicare, they're insurance salespeople.

I told her I was not interested and if she ever stepped foot on my property again, my pit bull would be the one answering the door.

The calls have been relentless too, but thank goodness my call blocker deals with those, LOL!

@KingstonsMom Wow!  Talk about intrusive and annoying.....Such nerve!...Great response!

I will be 65 in May and I expect the annoying calls to begin around Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Salesman

[ Edited ]

@ItsME wrote:

@gizmogal  .... WELL SAID!

@gizmogal  ... ETA... .Your post reminded me that my grandfather, at one point before my time, sold insurance (I think life insurance) door to door.  He probably earned 25 cents per policy.  But, it was a way to earn money.  

I remember in 2004 an insurance agent was collecting premiums and selling insurance policies in Philadelphia door to door. He was murdered and dumped in a trash can. Sometimes people paid him in cash. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would have called the police.  How did that young man "pick your house knowing your husband will be 65 in the near feature?"

The police should be aware of this "young man" (roaming the neighborhood?) making unannounced house calls claiming to be from an insurance co.

SERIOUSLY??? You would expect the police to come to your houyse because some salesman rang your doorbell? I guess you feel the police don't have enough to do.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@ItsME wrote:

@gizmogal  .... WELL SAID!

@gizmogal  ... ETA... .Your post reminded me that my grandfather, at one point before my time, sold insurance (I think life insurance) door to door.  He probably earned 25 cents per policy.  But, it was a way to earn money.  

I remember in 2004 an insurance agent was collecting premiums and selling insurance policies in Philadelphia door to door. He was murdered and dumped in a trash can. Sometimes people paid him in cash. 

@drizzellla

Sadly, the same thing happened in my city a few years ago, robbed, murdered and left in a dark alley.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

My husband will turn 65 in December. This afternoon a young man about 25 rings our doorbell. Thanks to the Ring doorbell I was able to talk to him without answering the door. Anyway he said he was from Bankers Life/Colonial Penn insurance and wanted to talk to my husband about Medicare. I told him we were not interested. He kept saying he was a professional representative and wanted to discuss his options. Now I ask you, why on earth would I open the door to someone who came unannounced, uninvited to my door let alone give this guy information and let him into my house? I can’t believe a company would send someone over unannounced and unwanted in this day and age. I’ve heard this happens and these people are persistent. My husband already knows what he is going to choose and our financial advisor has classes on these things so we have someone we can ask questions of. 

I can't believe that you thought there was any legitimacy to this type of thing.  Unannounced or not, Medicare doesn't have salesmen.  There are NO such companies and  no needs a financial advisor to enroll in Medicare.  You just need to be 65 and go to the SSA site and enroll, that's how you apply for your benefits these days or you can go into your local SSA office.  If that happened to me, I would have told the guy to just wait outside until I finished dressing.....and I would have called the police!   

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD .... He wasn't from a medicare office.  He was representing a private company that sells medicare supplements.... insurance that provides coverage for the deductibles and charges that medicare doesn't cover.  He's a salesman, hoping to earn a commission by earning the business. 

I'm not saying to let him in... I wouldn't.  But he wasn't committing a crime.

LOL   Oh, I'm pretty sure he intended to commit a crime whether it was selling a fake product or just using that as an excuse to get into the homes of naive seniors and look around....there was indeed criminal intent.  You did the right thing but you really should have called the police to advise them of this for the sake of others.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I must admit, I've never heard of anyone selling Medicare options door-to-door.  New one for me.

I never heard of such a thing either, in this day and age it would not be economically viable to sell coverage door to door.  I am 100% that if this does happen, it's a scam.  It can't be anything else.  

Honored Contributor

@151949

You really need to get your head out of the sand. icon_coffee.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow ladies, calm down, calm down!! Geesh, just say I'm not interested and go on about your day. Life is good, enjoy it.

@ID2  The OP said that he kept pushing the issue after being told not interested. That is the red flag.

Yes, salespeople are pushy but they also take advantage of older folks-just as many scam artists do; and while 65 isn't so old faculties do start to decline.  It's very easy to pick a target that might fall for a false representation.

Our gated community clearly indicates no soliciting and I definitely would call the police if the sound of the shotgun being racked by my husband didn't work after telling this "salesman" no thanks didn't work.

Home invasions are not just about kicking in a door; smooth talking can get a person to open a door and then the tragedy begins.

Your "calm down" remark is rude. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would have called the police.  How did that young man "pick your house knowing your husband will be 65 in the near feature?"

The police should be aware of this "young man" (roaming the neighborhood?) making unannounced house calls claiming to be from an insurance co.

SERIOUSLY??? You would expect the police to come to your houyse because some salesman rang your doorbell? I guess you feel the police don't have enough to do.

@151949  If somebody wouldn't leave your doorstep after telling him repeatedly that you were not interested-that becomes an issue of trespass and can possiblly become an attempt to enter your home - and not to sell insurance.

We look out for our neighbors and the no soliciting sign in our gated community holds a lot of weight-better safe than sorry and finding out a neighbor took the bait and suffered tragic consequences.

What would you do-slide a plate of cookies under the door?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh