Honored Contributor

It makes perfect sense to sell door-to-door to older individuals.  Some are not "online" and some older individuals do not have family members who can help them navigate the choices surrounding Medicare (supplemental insurance, Part B, and whatever else is involved).  It can be confusing even to the children and grandchildren trying to help get our older relatives enrolled.

Some older individuals are happy to have company and will invite them in just to have someone to talk to and may get roped into buying something.

Lord knows my uncle was forever inviting people into his home.  His mailman came for lunch every Saturday and my uncle even went to his wedding.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty

???     What is a ring doorbell and how do you answer the door without answering it? 

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Meowingkitty

???     What is a ring doorbell and how do you answer the door without answering it? 

Image result for ring doorbell

Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Salesman

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

Latest Ring Doorbell commercial.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD1mBO4Kiqg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would have called the police.  How did that young man "pick your house knowing your husband will be 65 in the near feature?"

The police should be aware of this "young man" (roaming the neighborhood?) making unannounced house calls claiming to be from an insurance co.

SERIOUSLY??? You would expect the police to come to your houyse because some salesman rang your doorbell? I guess you feel the police don't have enough to do.

@151949  If somebody wouldn't leave your doorstep after telling him repeatedly that you were not interested-that becomes an issue of trespass and can possiblly become an attempt to enter your home - and not to sell insurance.

We look out for our neighbors and the no soliciting sign in our gated community holds a lot of weight-better safe than sorry and finding out a neighbor took the bait and suffered tragic consequences.

What would you do-slide a plate of cookies under the door?

Tell him I'm not intertested, get lost and END THE CONVERSATION. No wonder it's so hard to get a cop when one is truely needed - they are busy going to homes because someone found a screw in the driveway or someone rang a doorbell.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

My husband will turn 65 in December. This afternoon a young man about 25 rings our doorbell. Thanks to the Ring doorbell I was able to talk to him without answering the door. Anyway he said he was from Bankers Life/Colonial Penn insurance and wanted to talk to my husband about Medicare. I told him we were not interested. He kept saying he was a professional representative and wanted to discuss his options. Now I ask you, why on earth would I open the door to someone who came unannounced, uninvited to my door let alone give this guy information and let him into my house? I can’t believe a company would send someone over unannounced and unwanted in this day and age. I’ve heard this happens and these people are persistent. My husband already knows what he is going to choose and our financial advisor has classes on these things so we have someone we can ask questions of. 

I can't believe that you thought there was any legitimacy to this type of thing.  Unannounced or not, Medicare doesn't have salesmen.  There are NO such companies and  no needs a financial advisor to enroll in Medicare.  You just need to be 65 and go to the SSA site and enroll, that's how you apply for your benefits these days or you can go into your local SSA office.  If that happened to me, I would have told the guy to just wait outside until I finished dressing.....and I would have called the police!   

Did you even read the original post?She clearly stated he said he was from Colonial Penn & another company - not from Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I would have called the police.  How did that young man "pick your house knowing your husband will be 65 in the near feature?"

The police should be aware of this "young man" (roaming the neighborhood?) making unannounced house calls claiming to be from an insurance co.

SERIOUSLY??? You would expect the police to come to your houyse because some salesman rang your doorbell? I guess you feel the police don't have enough to do.

@151949  If somebody wouldn't leave your doorstep after telling him repeatedly that you were not interested-that becomes an issue of trespass and can possiblly become an attempt to enter your home - and not to sell insurance.

We look out for our neighbors and the no soliciting sign in our gated community holds a lot of weight-better safe than sorry and finding out a neighbor took the bait and suffered tragic consequences.

What would you do-slide a plate of cookies under the door?

Tell him I'm not intertested, get lost and END THE CONVERSATION. No wonder it's so hard to get a cop when one is truely needed - they are busy going to homes because someone found a screw in the driveway or someone rang a doorbell.

@151949  And that doesn't always work.  Not all "salesmen" will just walk away.  Some will keep pushing.  And some keep pushing because they are not salesmen but criminals.

And bringing up the screw in the driveway is mean.  You already bashed that poor poster to the ground already.

And since when have you had a hard time calling the police?

Perhaps you should keep your focus on Walgreens.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Medicare Salesman

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree   @Meowingkitty

I can't believe that you thought there was any legitimacy to this type of thing.  Unannounced or not, Medicare doesn't have salesmen.  There are NO such companies and  no needs a financial advisor to enroll in Medicare.  You just need to be 65 and go to the SSA site and enroll, that's how you apply for your benefits these days or you can go into your local SSA office.  If that happened to me, I would have told the guy to just wait outside until I finished dressing.....and I would have called the police! 

LOL   Oh, I'm pretty sure he intended to commit a crime whether it was selling a fake product or just using that as an excuse to get into the homes of naive seniors and look around....there was indeed criminal intent.  You did the right thing but you really should have called the police to advise them of this for the sake of others.

@chrystaltree 

Criminal intent?   Call the police?   Based on WHAT?   

I find your comments to be absolutely mind-boggling ....  you are clearly quite mis-informed.

Colonial Penn is a LEGITIMATE insurance company that's been around for more than 50 years.  Google their name and links come up "for seniors".   They sell not only guaranteed-issue life insurance but also other supplement plans for seniors.

A.M. Best, the nation's top independent insurance ratings company, gives Colonial Penn Life Insurance Co a rating of A- , which is pretty darn good .

If this still isn't ringing a bell for you, this is the insurance company that Alex Trebeck (Jeopardy) does endorsements and TV commercials for.   

CP is owned by CNO Financial Group which is traded on the New York Stock Exchange(ever hear of the NYSE?)  

Some new insurance agents use the phone to develop their businesses, but some prefer to go out and meet people face to face.   No need to be rude to them, just say no thank you.   

While we all reserve the right to decline to speak to an insurance agent, your assuming there must be "criminal intent"  and that the police should be called just  because you don't have the facts is a bit silly, IMO.   

Good grief.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

My husband will turn 65 in December. This afternoon a young man about 25 rings our doorbell. Thanks to the Ring doorbell I was able to talk to him without answering the door. Anyway he said he was from Bankers Life/Colonial Penn insurance and wanted to talk to my husband about Medicare. I told him we were not interested. He kept saying he was a professional representative and wanted to discuss his options. Now I ask you, why on earth would I open the door to someone who came unannounced, uninvited to my door let alone give this guy information and let him into my house? I can’t believe a company would send someone over unannounced and unwanted in this day and age. I’ve heard this happens and these people are persistent. My husband already knows what he is going to choose and our financial advisor has classes on these things so we have someone we can ask questions of. 

@Meowingkitty   I hate to tell you, but this is just the beginning.   I have never had anyone come to my door.  Starting Dec. 1st you will be getting a million callls from Medicare to do a health assesment.  I told them STOP CALLING ME, THAT IS MY DR's JOB.   They would not stop calling about everything.  I finally told them if they keep bothering me, I am going after them for harrasement.

Now it gets worse.   When I saw my Dr.  I had just had a full blood work done, and the usual BP, weight, height, BP , Etc.  As I was leaving he said you will need a welcome to Medicare visit.   I said why??  He said he gets a good grade for doing it,  and then said we will do an EKG, and ultra sound and ask you a bunch of questions.  I scheduled the appointment and the more I thought about it, I was getting irritated.  So I called his office and said cancel that appointment.  I see him every 6 months, and I am scheduling nothing else. 

So when I went back 6 months later , they told me they had me schedluled for both that day.    I said "I told you I didn't want it"  Well we have to do it.   The insurance told me it was not mandatory.   The Government wants this information.  I can assure you he won't do it again.  I finally got the phone calls stopped and now my mailbox is stuffed.  I called them and told them to knock it off.  I am shredding everything and now I go away a lot, and I don't get my mail everyday. I had to that at least 6 times. It is a nightmare and so be prepared.  Everyone gets your name and even on the phone , we don't know who is really calling.   

They want you to have a Flu shot, Pneumonia, Tetnes, Shingles, Colonoscopy, Mammograms.   I told them it is not going to happen , so get off my case!!!!!  I could have gotten my Dr. in trouble because they are not allowed to combine appointments.    I let them mail the end of the year books with provider information and anything that is important.   I am getting cards in the mail that know I saw my Dr. but yet when I call United Health Care or My Dr.'s officeno one knows who they are.   Just be very careful!  If they call , I make them leave a message and tell me that they need to reach me.  Then I call them back.  

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty    You need a huge dog to answer the door... My dog does this everytime the doorbell rings unexpectedly..... They leave REAL FAST.