Honored Contributor

Do you learn better from written instructions,

[ Edited ]

or do you learn better, from visual instructions? (Pictures). 

Sometimes both are needed I think.  Some written ones, with pictures, can be confusing too.  I was asked not long ago, which one I did better with, therefore, I'll pass the question on to you.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you learn better from written instructions,

We prefer visual instructions.

Honored Contributor

I prefer pictures but even they can be hard to follow if not done well.  My main problem with written instructions is that they often use unfamiliar terms for parts, and I'm not at all clear what they're talking about.

Honored Contributor

Written instructions and only if a woman writes them!!

Trusted Contributor

I like having written instructions to fall back on.  I would rather be shown what to do so I can see how it is done.

Honored Contributor

I need  pictures but I have a tough time translating a 2D picture to a 3D item.

For example, putting together a piece of furniture.   

When I look at the picture in the instructions, I can't tell what's in front, what's in back and how it relates

So in the long run, the pictures don't help but most of the time the written instructions are not complete.   Between the 2, I can figure it out.

I knit and in order to follow the instructions, I need a schematic.   I have to work it out in my mind before I can start the project, the schematic helps.   Where does it start?   In what direction am I knitting?  (top to bottom for example)

Honored Contributor

Please...   I learned way back when I was in college that I am visual learner.  I do best when I "see it", "hear it" and then "practice it".   It's why I'm so bad at assembling things from written instructions.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal

Adults learn best and retain better when more than one of their senses are utilized: hearing, seeing, writing, repeating, touching, etc.

When DH is showing me the steps for using a computer application, he gets annoyed when I write the steps down; however, it helps me learn and remember.  Then I can ask questions more intelligently. Takes a few more seconds, but lasts a lot longer !

Same with remembering names...the sooner I can jot it down, I will recall it easily until it becomes automatic.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz, Thank you for saying that.  I thought maybe it was just me. Remembering some things now are a challenge.  Names I use to be really good at, I'm not good at now. 

Respected Contributor

Many many years ago I was handed a lap top computer and told to "play with it" with the expection that I could teach myself how to use it by reading a huge manual. This was before Windows operating system. It sat in my file cabinet for a year. Finally my. supervisor sent someone to sit with me and show me how to use a computer. I wrote a feew things down but it was mostly practicing what this person showed me.  I learn from having someone showing me and then letting me do it while they watch. I do like back up written instructions just in case.