Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden.  Surely you're not going to participate in the application of the roofing and siding.  You can sit in the shade with a cooling beverage and watch others work.

This shows complete lack of understanding the enormity of such a huge job like this. 

There is a lot of stress in home repairs/maintenance/remodeling.

Choosing the right contractor (yes, that has most likely been done) is only the first step. Then the right materials to last as you hope they will. Then being vigilant during installation, as it is amazing what contractors will try to get away with if they think you don't know or aren't watching.

Being sure your instructions are being followed during the process, the clean up is done correctly, the safety of the crew while on your property, the safety of the rest of your property and valuables while strangers are there......

Then physically preparing the home. When lots of pounding is going on, things may need to come off of walls and shelves, pets that will be disturbed by strangers around need to be accommodated and schedules/routines upset, delicate landscaping need to be covered or monitored so they don't damage etc.

There really is a lot of things to consider, decide upon, prepare for, and monitor during a huge job like this. Trivializing it is of no help whatsoever.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. Perhaps this was an effort to help @SeaMaiden feel more relaxed about the upcoming repairs & not insensitivity.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. @Shanus.  I had a complete new roof put on my house in June of last year.  I didn't do a thing.  The roofers left the place in perfect condition with no pieces of shingles anywhere.  I picked up maybe 3 or 4 nails in the driveway and that was it.  I told the contractor before they started that I expected no trash left and they did well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio. @Shanus.  I had a complete new roof put on my house in June of last year.  I didn't do a thing.  The roofers left the place in perfect condition with no pieces of shingles anywhere.  I picked up maybe 3 or 4 nails in the driveway and that was it.  I told the contractor before they started that I expected no trash left and they did well.

@Kachina624  I wasn’t as lucky w/ my roof replacement.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden.  Surely you're not going to participate in the application of the roofing and siding.  You can sit in the shade with a cooling beverage and watch others work.

This shows complete lack of understanding the enormity of such a huge job like this. 

There is a lot of stress in home repairs/maintenance/remodeling.

Choosing the right contractor (yes, that has most likely been done) is only the first step. Then the right materials to last as you hope they will. Then being vigilant during installation, as it is amazing what contractors will try to get away with if they think you don't know or aren't watching.

Being sure your instructions are being followed during the process, the clean up is done correctly, the safety of the crew while on your property, the safety of the rest of your property and valuables while strangers are there......

Then physically preparing the home. When lots of pounding is going on, things may need to come off of walls and shelves, pets that will be disturbed by strangers around need to be accommodated and schedules/routines upset, delicate landscaping need to be covered or monitored so they don't damage etc.

There really is a lot of things to consider, decide upon, prepare for, and monitor during a huge job like this. Trivializing it is of no help whatsoever.

@Mominohio @Kachina624  I understood where  Kachina624 was coming from. Yes, having huge home repairs is taxing on nerves and stress of just your home being out of sorts  pets having to be contained... bla bla bla... but...

in reality it is good to see  all this comotion in a different light.... as  the people you chose to do the work  are the professionals to do the job and really it is out of your hands.  To worry or stress out is a choice you make. 

I hope to try to focus on that and not how upsetting everything can be until the job is done and you can go back to living your life again.  I see this as good advice.... to chill a bit. ( IF I CAN!) 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Certainly she can remain “cool”, but we had our entire roof replaced over several days, the noise, mess all over the yard where they threw down old shingles, having men on ladders all around the house & having to check before using bathroom (every outside window has a transom not covered by shutters) & then when they left, it took us days to check the yard for nails/tacks that could endanger the dogs.

I get what @SeaMaiden has ahead of her.

@Shanus   That does sound stressful... Thankfully the  roofer brings his own honey bucket for the workmen to use.  No one uses or enters the house. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Is the jury duty in downtown Seattle?  That would panic me.

@tansy  Thankfully it is in Kent... just down the road a bit. I WOULD NOT SHOW UP  if it were in Seattle and would risk going to jail over that.  I HATE DOWNTOWN SEATTLE. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

Hello SeaMaiden, sorry you are going through stress right now.  If affordable for you, call a cleaning service to clean bathroom and kitchen, floors and dusting.  Then you can relax about company coming.  It will be over soon and you can relax and be yourself again.  Good thoughts heading your way, SC

@Sweet Caroline 1    I am one of THOSE PEOPLE who would clean house for the house cleaning people.... so that makes no sense! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hello to you @Shanus

In the 18 years we have lived in our home, we have had our roof replaced 4 times. All were because of severe hail damage, and in 1 instance, several north side windows were also broken. 

We have always had differing numbers of "indoor only" felines, during many years 13 of them. Age and diseases reduced that number down to our present number of 6. If you are familiar at all with felines, they are very cautious and leery of most noises, even low decibel ones.

With our roof replacements we hired only reputable companies, recommended to me by many of my contractor friends. We did not have to pick up shingles or nails after any of these 4 roof replacements, the workers were very thorough in their cleanup of every inch of our property in the vicinity in which they were or had worked.

Sure, the noise bothered our furry family members, but hey! Things happen, and to us this ranked pretty low on our irritant list. Now if you want me to get into our finished basement(Home Theater/Gym) being flooded with Sewage, while I was in the hospital for over 6 days?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Mominohio. Perhaps this was an effort to help @SeaMaiden feel more relaxed about the upcoming repairs & not insensitivity.

Condiser the source.