Honored Contributor

Re: Is This Where Entitlement Comes From?

@Tinkrbl44,Apparently, you didn't see my post of why I didn't speak to the gramdmother.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I think the entire matter comes down to you being angry for not giving yourself enough time. I would feel just like you if that happened but when I'd examine it, I'd know it was my fault really. Life happens, kids will be kids and not always be corrected, adults sometimes act like kids but probably don't know any better. Don't let it get you down, no biggie...

@wishmoon,I was in no way angry.  I was sad, but thank you for your input.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

When I was a child, I'm willing to bet when there was a line, my friends and I raced to be ahead.  Seriously you've never walked more quickly from a parking lot to get ahead in a restaurant line? How about a line at an amusement park?

This was a walk-in line.  I do not think this is where entitlement begins.

I was a high school teacher in a wealthy district for over 30 years and saw a lot of entitlement.  I would not have given the incident described a second thought. The child didn't bump into you or knock you out of way.

This is how I feel.  It was an 8 year old child, not a 28 year old adult. 

Now granted I do think the grandmother should have said something if she really ran in front of you and cut you off but again, this is a small child.

@lulu2, This was a discussion on entitlement.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Respectfully, I see this as a rambunctious little girl who probably never saw you. 

@Trinity11The way it happened, she ran and cut in front of me as I turned to go to the door.  She most definately saw me.

Honored Contributor

@spindlegirl,Yes.  And that was in no way "entitlement".  Ever go five miles above the speed limit?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@spindlegirl,Yes.  And that was in no way "entitlement".  Ever go five miles above the speed limit?

Of course it's entitlement.  "Rules don't apply to me," "it's okay to break or bend them even though I agreed to abide by them." 

I doubt you taught your students that ~ hope not anyway or they'll be confused about integrity and values.

The speed limit question is deflection. I didn't start a thread judging  others for what I decided was sense of entitlement or set myself up as a virtuous example and teacher of how to act. You did. Are you now saying it's ok to have sense of entitlement sometimes? Does that apply to the little girl? Her grandmother?

Look at it this way ........posters react to hypocrisy. Somebody who acts as if the set (and agreed to ) rules don't apply to them but judges and criticizes "others" for having the same sense of entitlement. Saying 'do as I say but not as I do'. Example........ If I bash a host and then started a thread scolding posters for bashing hosts I better be ready for people to notice the double standard. Same thing going on here, you freely break or bend the standards and advise posters how to do it but then you rag on the presumed sense of entitlement in "other people."

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Respectfully, I see this as a rambunctious little girl who probably never saw you. 

I agree @Trinity11.

Valued Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Having a friend who is a psychiatrist, and my history being a teacher, we have had a full discussion on entitlement and I believe I know where some has come from, which, of course is debatable.

What would you have done OTHER than stepped back?:  Today I went to my allergy doctor's walk in clinic for the allergy shot I have pushed up to the time limit. 

As I approached from one side, an 8 yr old little girl approached with her grandmother from the opposite side.  The girl ran to get in front of me and ran to get into line in front of me. (I was just waiting to see how this young ladie's rudeness of running in front of me would be handled.)  When the girl was about to go up to the receptionist, the grandmother said to me

"Would you mind if I go up there with my granddaughter?"!!!  I couldn't believe it!  I would have called the child to me and said "We don't run ahead of people.  Stand with me please.".

Eight years old is not a baby.  As this child is advancing, she will get older and will continue what she is doing-of course.

I feel that too often we step back when we should open the door to sensitivity.

I would have said, in a loud and carrying voice, "Well, if your granddaughter is so keen on having the doctor stick her with a big fat needle, you go right ahead."

LOL!

@noodleann!

😄

Valued Contributor

@dex wrote:

I have a habit of letting moms with little ones go ahead of me in lines.They have a busy time keeping their children in check.I remember those days and so I hope to spread a little kindness with a few simple gestures.Often they say they can wait but I always reply...You have less free time than I do and I don't mind waiting.They always seem really pleased to be considered.

Very kind post @dex.💙

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Tinkrbl44,Apparently, you didn't see my post of why I didn't speak to the gramdmother.

Yes, I did, and responded in post # 53.