Respected Contributor

Have U Discovered a Wonderful Hobby?

Let's share!

My latest discovery is crocheting with P-L-A-R-N-, which is plastic yarn.

You make it with plastic grocery bags.  It's great for making baskets!

Love it!
Woman Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Have U Discovered a Wonderful Hobby?

I've actually been looking for a hobby or craft for several years but I don't think this plastic yarn thing is it.  I wasn't born with that creative gene thing, so it's challenging.  I always thought I'd take some classes at our adult education center but apparently all they teach now is ballroom dancing and about 1000 cooking classes....and computer classes.  Budget cuts, I suppose.  I event tried an adult coloring book.  I plan to looking into jewelry making this summer.  I love gemstones and jewelry.  I love color.  Retirement is many years away for me but when I do retire, I'd really like to have a hobby.  Something that I love to do that can keep me busy.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy making door and wall wreaths as time permits.  I don't sell them; I give them away to family and friends for birthdays, housewarming, just because, etc.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Swimming

Gambling

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

My hobby is studying French. I've taken classes and now study on my own. I've been to France many times and will visit Québec for the fourth time next month. It's my French fix. 

Valued Contributor

I joined a group that gets together weekly and needlepoints. I have also joined a ladies group and we go to the gun range twice a month. Two very different hobbies, but both enjoyable.

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I've actually been looking for a hobby or craft for several years but I don't think this plastic yarn thing is it.  I wasn't born with that creative gene thing, so it's challenging.  I always thought I'd take some classes at our adult education center but apparently all they teach now is ballroom dancing and about 1000 cooking classes....and computer classes.  Budget cuts, I suppose.  I event tried an adult coloring book.  I plan to looking into jewelry making this summer.  I love gemstones and jewelry.  I love color.  Retirement is many years away for me but when I do retire, I'd really like to have a hobby.  Something that I love to do that can keep me busy.

I also don't have a creative gene! My son is a woodworker & he & his wife 

( design & make amazing glass & wood lamps) set up at about 15 art shows during the year..when we go to one, I am amazed at the number of jewelry venders..he says their jewelry friends make "tons" of money & women are always lined up at the jewelry booths..would sound like a good hobby to both enjoy doing & make some good money..I'm not much into jewelry, but see some beautiful pieces..earrings, bracelets, necklaces..

Honored Contributor

Back in 2005 I went on a family cruise with my husband, kids, my mom & her friend & brother and his SO.  When we returned I decided to give scrapbooking a try and made a scrapbook of our trip.  One thing led to another and I amassed a huge stash of scrapbooking supplies.

With my supplies and encouragement here (way back before the boards changed there was a thriving crafting board) I made & exchanged cards with a lot of the women on the Q crafting board. 

From card making & scrapbooking I started to make small signs and sell them.  My signs evolved into larger custom ones which I've been making now and selling on Etsy for 9 years.  At first it was just extra spending money but as it's grown it's now 1/3 of our monthly income.  

My hobby has turned into a small business which keeps me busy!

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9   Congrats!

I also have a fun hobby, and I can sell what I make. Helps with buying new supplies.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow Thanks!!  It's a great feeling when strangers buy something that one creates! Smiley Happy 

Congrats to you as well! Smiley Happy