Respected Contributor

Re: If you were ever a smoker

At age 63,   23 years ago, after open heart surgery and 6 days on a respirator, I am now on O2   24/7. and I am a retired inhalation therapist, saw and knew what my future had in store for me, but loved my smokes. Don't even now remember smoking. I'm 86 still drive, go to my beauty shop, Drs and etc, but no unnecessary shopping like I used too, or playing gardener, like I love. I paid the price, and don't even miss them. No one can tell you to stop, you have to want to, or get in trouble.

Honored Contributor

@ollie5 @I just quit due to the virus.I ran out of cigarettes in February and couldn't go shopping myself.I could not see sending someone else to the store for that purchase so I just suffered it out.It isn't over in my head yet.I still crave a cigarette and if I smell a lit one,it still smells good but I can distract myself and get over it faster now.I went through a horrible withdrawal period of constipation and lack of sleep and that lasted about two to three weeks.

Honored Contributor

@dex I wonder how many people quit because of the virus.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter @I think there will be a few.How could you risk the health of someone else by sending them to purchase cigarettes?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thirty.  Quit cold turkey.  I had started tatking those old school aerobics classes at a Gloria Stevens type women's fitness place.  The stink of nicotine and stale cigarette coming out of my pores when I sweat, coupled with the fact I could hardly breathe with the warmup, was a big wakeup call.  

Respected Contributor

Quitting Smoking Timeline

• 20 minutes after quitting, your heart rate drops. Cigarettes raise your blood pressureand increase your heart rate. You heart rate will begin to drop to normal levels within 20 minutes of your last cigarette.
  • 8 to 12 hours after quitting, you blood carbon monoxide level drops. Carbon monoxide is the same dangerous fume that comes from car exhaust. It causes your heart rate to increase and causes shortness of breath. Within 8 to 12 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops, and your blood oxygen increases.
  • 48 hours after quitting, your ability to smell and taste improves. The nerve endings damaged by smoking begin to regrow, improving your sense of smell and taste.
  • 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting, your risk of heart attack drops. Improved circulation, lower blood pressure and heart rate, and better oxygen levels and lung function all reduce your risk of a heart attack.
  • 1 to 9 months after quitting, you’ll feel less short of breath and cough less.Coughing, shortness of breath, and sinus congestion will decrease. You’ll feel more energetic overall.
  • 1 year after quitting, your risk of heart disease will be cut in half. Smoking significantly increases your risk of heart disease.
  • 5 years after quitting, your risk of stroke decreases. Depending on how much and how long you smoked and your overall health, your risk of stroke will be the same as someone who’s never smoked within 5 to 15 years of quitting.
  • 10 years after quitting, your risk of lung cancer drops to that of someone who’s never smoked. Your risk of dying from lung cancer will be that of a person who’s never smoked. Your risk of developing other cancers decreases significantly.
  • 15 years after quitting, you risk of heart disease is the same as someone who’s never smoked. After you quit, you’ll have lower cholesterol, thinner blood (which reduces your risk of blood clots), and lower blood pressure.
  • After 20 years

After 20 years, the risk of death from smoking-related causes, including both lung disease and cancer, drops to the level of a person who has never smoked in their life. Also, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to that of someone who has never smoked.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

I stopped cold turkey on my 40th birthday. I felt that it was the time. It was very easy because it was my decision. And I did not gained any weight because I purposely increased my treadmill time.

People can do anything if they really want.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I quit in 1990 cold turkey.    I was 35. I am almost 65 today.

BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF. 

I must say it was very very hard to do... the physical part of not having the cig in my hand and fingers was very hard... I used pencils to replace the cigarettes.... and also not having my " smoke time"... I found I had lot of free time on my hands... you need to do something during those smoke break times that is good for you... I walked.... I also chewed gum... lot of gum....and ate a lot of red licorice ropes... I craved sugar because cigarettes have sugar in them.... yes I gained some weight... but  the extra pounds  worth it and eventually I lost the weight. 

I stupidly started smoking  when I was 21.  I was very addicted...A two pak a day smoker. 

Honored Contributor

I started at 19 and quit at 40.  

Esteemed Contributor

June 1 was my 15th yr anniversary. I was 53 - I decided it was time and used the patch during the day only and have had no set-backs.