Valued Contributor

Re: If you were ever a smoker

I started smoking habitually when I was 19.  After 35 years I quit and that was 4 years ago.  I just decided I didn't want to do it anymore. I have never looked back and don't miss it at all! Gained 17 pounds, have since lost 30. 

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Super Contributor

@ollie5 wrote:

I give you ladies a lot of credit! I m 63 and still smoking, I know I need to quit but just can t find it in me!

You lovely ladies give me some incentive! Let a hope!

I smoked since age 15.  I quit when I was 70 after several previous failed attempts.  I ended up with such terrible receding gums from smoking that all my teeth were loose and starting to fall out.  So now I have dentures.  Quit before it's too late!  Try anything...try everything!  Don't let failure stop you.  Try again.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I quit in 1981.  One of the state universities was offering 2 programs at work to help people quit.  I chose the program where we ended up smoking double the number we started with by the end of the 6 week program - I knew weaning off was never going to work for me.  I started out as a 2 pack a day smoker so keeping up with 4 packs the last week was a real chore and I actually got tired of smoking.  

Regular Contributor

caroln242 I just had to have my four lower front teeth pulled because of recession and also one was really loose.

I quit twice when I was pregnant but started in order to lose baby weight. Real stupid on my part.

My brother quit 10 years ago and unfortunately has gained 100 lbs. I think that is what really blocks me.

Honored Contributor

I was 18 and wanted to look sophisticated smoking Virginia Slims. I quit at 21 during a pregnancy but was smoking the first chance I could after the delivery. My daughter developed asthma so I quit for her. I was 27 and never touched another cigarette again. I was smoking more than a pack a day by then and completely addicted. I remember it being hard to quit but I would do anything for my daughter and didn't want her smelling my cigarettes...

Trusted Contributor

I started smoking at age 16 in 1964; I quit in 1977 when I was 29. Quit cold turkey; haven't had one since. I just didn't want to smoke anymore.