Esteemed Contributor

I hate to admit it I'm a little scared to go to my town's "FEST"

[ Edited ]

ETA:  I did go.  It was very, very crowded as always. No problems. Lots of police.  I had a great time.

Our "Fest" is this week. 

I've been going since I was a kid (lived here since I was 6)  It started out as our church's carnival, then the town took it over and made it our "Fest".  The beer garden is usually packed and that's where I see my HS friends.

I don't like this scared feeling.

Respected Contributor

Re: I hate to admit it I'm a little scared to go to my town's "FEST"

[ Edited ]

I think it’s natural to think about it....but don’t let it stop you from doing what you want.  Just be aware of your surroundings, know where the exit areas are, if you start to feel uncomfortable, trust your instincts and move away.....

I admit, I make mental “escape” plans when I am at a movie, a restaurant, even at church.  But then I don’t dwell on it.

❤️ To you.

Esteemed Contributor

Always listen to your gut.

It will serve you well.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I were just talking about that kind of situation today. We rarely go anywhere where there are large crowds any more, I don't want to see  or hear anyone that badly, to risk my life. Our state has open carry and that alone scares me, I don't buy the idea that they are good guys with guns, when the bullets start flying you don't know where they will land.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not going to let what happened in Gilroy stop me from going to that or any festival.

The odds of it happening again are quite low.

In fact, you have a better chance of getting in to an auto accident on the way to the festival, than to have any shooting happen while at the festival.

It is far riskier to drive, than it is to actually be at a festival.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

I have muscular dystrophy and I will no longer go to large public venues. I can't even walk that fast and if I fall down or get knocked down I can't get up without two very strong people lifting me up from under each arm.

It adds to the concern. So I don't go.

I was watching a news piece today talking about the percentage of parents homeschooling their kids having skyrocketed. They don't want to send their kids to school because they are afraid for their safety.

I get it. And it is of a huge concern to me, as well.

Honored Contributor

Best time to go, security will be high.

My DD is 27.   When I was pregnant, I choose to deliver at the local medical center, rather than a nearby hospital.    A few weeks prior to delivery, a baby was stolen from the nursery.   I didn't change my mind.   I was the only mom there at the time, a nurse literally had to watch her 24/7, with or without me.    She chouldn't leave unless she was relieved.

My friends thought I was crazy.

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Our "Fest" is this week. 

I've been going since I was a kid (lived here since I was 6)  It started out as our church's carnival, then the town took it over and made it our "Fest".  The beer garden is usually packed and that's where I see my HS friends.

I don't like this scared feeling.

Honored Contributor

I won't allow anything to take my life away from me.

We can't live in fear unless we jail ourselves. 

Enjoy your day.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think it’s normal, after a shooting, to want to avoid going to a similar venue.  But how do we know what type of place may be the next target, if there is to be one?  We don’t.  

From my memory, some of the past targets have been schools, churches, synagogues, shopping malls, movie theaters, marathons, concerts, night clubs, high rise office buildings,train stations, and more. 

I dont plan on becoming a hermit or letting the evil people terrorize me. 

Respected Contributor

A 10 year old boy was shot in the back of the leg at a large local baseball field in this area. He was taken to the hospital where the bullet was discovered. The local police ascertained that the bullet had travelled a couple of miles and it was like 1 in a billion odds that it happened. I know the boy was very young, but his response to this happeneing was that he has seen people get shot on TV a lot and that he didn't even care. It happens all too often anymore. I don't feel real comfortable going anywhere anymore, but one has things to do. Too many nut jobs out there that are able to get weapons one way or another.