Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner , I don't know @Nightowlz particular situation, but I'm sure she could get excused using one of the Covid questions.  They ask if you have an underlying condition or are over 65 and if you are asking to be excused due to that.  You can ask for an excuse if you have someone in your household at with fever, unexplained cough, or repiratory problems.  Maybe I could use the fact that I have a cat with asthma as an excuse.  I consider him family and even bought a Foodi Grill even though I have a perfectly functioning Jenn Aire grill becaue the Foodi would emit less smoke.  There's even a generic question Do you have ANY concerns related to Covid-19 that would affect your ability to serve.  You do have to explain though.  

Personally, I'm not using this panemic as an excuse to withdraw from life and it's responsibilities.  If someone is truly afraid and are stahing inside their home out of fear, then I consider that a perfectly acceptable excuse.  However, if they are going out and doing other things, then I think it's a cop-out to use Covid as an excuse not to serve.  I don't like jury duty, but I'm not going to use a lame excuse to get out of it.  Somebody needs to do the job.  

@Icegoddess 

All I know is they say the longer you are out among people the higher your risk.

I have been home all year except doctor, dentist appt plus picking up groceries. I'm not sitting in a courthouse full of people.

Unless they offer very frequent bathroom breaks that leaves me out. When I have to pee there is no waiting. LOL!!!

@Nightowlz,  the last time I was called I asked to be excused. Under the reason section I told them I have to use the bathroom every 30 minutes or so and while only annoying at home it would be disruptive in court.  I was permanently excused.

@Icegoddess  I will have to remember THAT  ONE😄

Trusted Contributor

I was on call for district court.  I had to call in every Wednesday to see if I needed to report on Friday. This was to go on for a month.  The very last week I had to go in.  This was a few years ago.  I was dreading it.  I did get selected for a jury.  it was 80 miles each way from my house and I was not happy,

In the end it was a very interesting process and I was glad I did it.  I didn't get jury duty pay as my job paid me, but I did get mileage which I got in just a few short days.

This was like 4 years ago.

Depending on your age and your risk category you should be able to get out of it but don't just NOT show up or there will be a warrant out for your arrest and no one needs that.

Honored Contributor

I cant believe the amount of people on here that would not serve on a jury.  Its a duty and what type of people would you want on your jury if you were on trial for something?  If all the intelligent folks squirm out of jury duty you are left with Bevis & Butthead, would you want them to decide your fate?

Also, you can be arrested for not showing up if you are summoned.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I cant believe the amount of people on here that would not serve on a jury.  Its a duty and what type of people would you want on your jury if you were on trial for something?  If all the intelligent folks squirm out of jury duty you are left with Bevis & Butthead, would you want them to decide your fate?

@Imaoldhippie I guess not everyone is subject to the law.  Aren't you sort of getting that feeling here?  Nice to be so special. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie You can also be arrested for showing up but then not coming back after lunch even if you're just in the jury pool.  Not having a car is not an excuse.  

I was thinking the same thing.  If all the people who know how to get out of it do, then what do we end up with on the jury.  Last time I got called I did not get selected mainly because I told them I didn't believe someone deserved to be paid a full salary for the rest of their life just because they had been injured and could no longer do THAT job.  Funny, after I got struck, I was eating lunch and I saw the plaintiff walking across the courtyard with his lawyer to his office and he didn't have the big limp he had walking into the courtroom.

The only time I did sit on a jury I almost hung it.  I knew the guy was guilty.  I would let him off on the speeding because I don't think they proved that knowing what I know about radar, but he was definitely impaired.  The jury got hung up on a technical error and the fact that the guy had a small child.  In the end, the judge thanked us, but did make a point of telling us this was not his first offense.  You could just see all those jurors who were so adamant that he must be innocent deflate.  I consoled myself knowing the Judge appreciated the fact that I did not hang the jury which would end up in another expensive trial.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have Been Summoned

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did jury duty a couple of years ago... a week it took as I was chosen to be on a jury. I found it to be a huge waste of my time.  I will never do it again... and I  would never consider to do it during this pandemic until it is totally over.  If I ever get a card in the mail I will throw it away.

@SeaMaiden Have you heard the story of the young man in Fl about a year ago who basically did just that?  Actually he overslept and never attended or called.  He was fined and jailed for two weeks.

Honored Contributor

As for me, I feel like I've done my time on jury duty...I've been called about a dozen times, was excused several times when I had young children at home and served once.

If I get called I'll let them know that I'm my DH's caregiver.  He simply can't serve if he were called because of his chronic illness.

Trusted Contributor

Federal duty isn't all that bad, at least compared to my county courts. They usually pick a fairly small number of people and they sort of keep things moving. At least you get to see the process even if you don't get picked. It's not like some counties where they call a lot of people and you sit around for a while with nothing to do. Plus no court on Friday so depending on the case it could be a quick few days, especially if you end up on a civil case.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden - When I went to jury duty, there were several people that did not show up. The judge immediately sent the Sheriff out to their addresses. Personally, I would not thrown out a notice. And, in my area, if you don't have a car, the Sheriff will gladly pick you up and bring you home.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I would love to get another summons. Been called 3 different times over the decades. County Court each time, both Civil and Criminal Trials. Sat on 9 jury panels, foreman on 6. Said many times I would be 1st in line if they ever went to professional jurors.

Most of mine were 12 miles from where I lived. Now it would be 15-16 miles. I didn't need to fill anything out. Just sign in each day. I am sure they do research on each person they summons, prior to sending it.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)