Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner , I don't know @Nightowlz particular situation, but I'm sure she could get excused using one of the Covid questions.  They ask if you have an underlying condition or are over 65 and if you are asking to be excused due to that.  You can ask for an excuse if you have someone in your household at with fever, unexplained cough, or repiratory problems.  Maybe I could use the fact that I have a cat with asthma as an excuse.  I consider him family and even bought a Foodi Grill even though I have a perfectly functioning Jenn Aire grill becaue the Foodi would emit less smoke.  There's even a generic question Do you have ANY concerns related to Covid-19 that would affect your ability to serve.  You do have to explain though.  

Personally, I'm not using this panemic as an excuse to withdraw from life and it's responsibilities.  If someone is truly afraid and are stahing inside their home out of fear, then I consider that a perfectly acceptable excuse.  However, if they are going out and doing other things, then I think it's a cop-out to use Covid as an excuse not to serve.  I don't like jury duty, but I'm not going to use a lame excuse to get out of it.  Somebody needs to do the job.  

@Icegoddess 

All I know is they say the longer you are out among people the higher your risk.

I have been home all year except doctor, dentist appt plus picking up groceries. I'm not sitting in a courthouse full of people.

Unless they offer very frequent bathroom breaks that leaves me out. When I have to pee there is no waiting. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

If they call me to bad not doing this during a Pandemic.

@Nightowlz You do know you can be sent to jail for not complying?  I hear jail isn't so great in a pandemic either. 

@Sooner 

I know that but I'm still not doing it or going to jail.

@Nightowlz  Well anarchy seems to be in vogue now.  So fine for you to just ignore the law.  

@Sooner 

Not saying I'm going to ignore it just telling them I'm not doing it. I'm almost 63 so they can have the young do it.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have Been Summoned

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

If they call me to bad not doing this during a Pandemic.

In NJ they cram over 100+ people in a windowless, overheated room. 

Even if they social distanced the seating there would be no way I would sit there all day long wearing a mask.  Nope, not happening.

It is still suspended in NJ right now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner , I don't know @Nightowlz particular situation, but I'm sure she could get excused using one of the Covid questions.  They ask if you have an underlying condition or are over 65 and if you are asking to be excused due to that.  You can ask for an excuse if you have someone in your household at with fever, unexplained cough, or repiratory problems.  Maybe I could use the fact that I have a cat with asthma as an excuse.  I consider him family and even bought a Foodi Grill even though I have a perfectly functioning Jenn Aire grill becaue the Foodi would emit less smoke.  There's even a generic question Do you have ANY concerns related to Covid-19 that would affect your ability to serve.  You do have to explain though.  

Personally, I'm not using this panemic as an excuse to withdraw from life and it's responsibilities.  If someone is truly afraid and are stahing inside their home out of fear, then I consider that a perfectly acceptable excuse.  However, if they are going out and doing other things, then I think it's a cop-out to use Covid as an excuse not to serve.  I don't like jury duty, but I'm not going to use a lame excuse to get out of it.  Somebody needs to do the job.  

@Icegoddess 

All I know is they say the longer you are out among people the higher your risk.

I have been home all year except doctor, dentist appt plus picking up groceries. I'm not sitting in a courthouse full of people.

Unless they offer very frequent bathroom breaks that leaves me out. When I have to pee there is no waiting. LOL!!!

@Nightowlz,  the last time I was called I asked to be excused. Under the reason section I told them I have to use the bathroom every 30 minutes or so and while only annoying at home it would be disruptive in court.  I was permanently excused.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

It is your responsibility as a citizen of this country to do your civic duty to serve on a jury. It's not as if they are asking you to put your life on the line to serve your country.

During a pandemic, yeah, they kind of are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
@CelticCrafter wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

It is your responsibility as a citizen of this country to do your civic duty to serve on a jury. It's not as if they are asking you to put your life on the line to serve your country.

During a pandemic, yeah, they kind of are.

Not if you are properly masked, frequently handwashed and disinfected and

separated. If someone is ok with going to a gym, not doing one's duty is not excusable. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@Nightowlz It doesn't sound like it'll be a courthouse full of people. The jurors don't even show up at the courthouse unless they have been chosen as a possible juror.  otherwise, you stay at home on-call.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@Nightowlz It doesn't sound like it'll be a courthouse full of people. The jurors don't even show up at the courthouse unless they have been chosen as a possible juror.  otherwise, you stay at home on-call.

@Icegoddess 

Last time I did it you had to go to the courthouse where there were lots of people they were going through to see who would get picked. I do live in a smaller area so no telling what they do here now. I was on jury duty for a year anytime they needed me you were suppose to show up???

I'm not going to worry about it. I have gallbladder issues anyways so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I will have to have surgery.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

You seem to be the perfect person who can serve.  Here we have a top age.  I don't know what it is, though.

@KarenQVC  ... in NY the top age is 75

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did jury duty a couple of years ago... a week it took as I was chosen to be on a jury. I found it to be a huge waste of my time.  I will never do it again... and I  would never consider to do it during this pandemic until it is totally over.  If I ever get a card in the mail I will throw it away.

They are not inviting you to lunch.  Be careful.  The following is from the Oklahoma Bar Association.  Don't know about where you live but in my experience the OK courts are a little testy about people not responding:

The Importance of Your Service

You have been summoned to provide an important service as a juror. You enjoy the privileges of citizenship and the protection of your liberties and property by the government. In return, you have a duty as a citizen to participate in a very important aspect of our democracy – jury duty. As a juror, you will serve as an officer of the court for a short time, along with the attorneys and the judge. You will be a part of the judicial system of our state, and your services are as important as those of the judge.

Trial by jury is the foundation of the American judicial system. In a civil case, it is the jury's duty to decide issues of fact in disputes over private rights such as property rights, contract rights and damages for personal injury. In a criminal case, it is the jurors that people rely upon for the protection of life, liberty and property. Jury service is the fulfillment of a civic obligation. Our system of justice will not work without your participation.

Q: I received a summons – what do I have to do?
A: A summons is an official court document sent to you by a court clerk. When you receive a summons, you are REQUIRED to appear at the court described, at the time that is listed on the summons. Failure to report can result in contempt charges and the imposition of a fine and/or community service for the length of the trial on which you would have served.

@Sooner  I Know all of that.....