Honored Contributor

I've been called many times, although I rarely served on a jury because my ex was a law enforcement officer.  I've always found the process very interesting and would welcome the opportunity to serve again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Sooner , I don't know @Nightowlz particular situation, but I'm sure she could get excused using one of the Covid questions.  They ask if you have an underlying condition or are over 65 and if you are asking to be excused due to that.  You can ask for an excuse if you have someone in your household at with fever, unexplained cough, or repiratory problems.  Maybe I could use the fact that I have a cat with asthma as an excuse.  I consider him family and even bought a Foodi Grill even though I have a perfectly functioning Jenn Aire grill becaue the Foodi would emit less smoke.  There's even a generic question Do you have ANY concerns related to Covid-19 that would affect your ability to serve.  You do have to explain though.  

Personally, I'm not using this panemic as an excuse to withdraw from life and it's responsibilities.  If someone is truly afraid and are stahing inside their home out of fear, then I consider that a perfectly acceptable excuse.  However, if they are going out and doing other things, then I think it's a cop-out to use Covid as an excuse not to serve.  I don't like jury duty, but I'm not going to use a lame excuse to get out of it.  Somebody needs to do the job.  

@Icegoddess  I commend you for your reasoning and your decision to serve. 

Respected Contributor

I love jury duty.  I find the entire judicial system fascinating.

Honored Contributor

I loved jury duty. I've had jury duty 3 times.

A few months ago (late 2019) I got a form to fill out and I was all ready to go.

But they wanted to know my age (73) and my daughter reminded me that I can't sit in those hard chairs for very long because of my back.  Good thing because in March 2020 I broke my back again.

I think we are lucky we live in a country where we are asked to be part of a process that is supposed to be fair and balanced.

My late husband was picked for jury duty 2 times before he died.  He enjoyed it too.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Have Been Summoned

[ Edited ]

It is your responsibility as a citizen of this country to do your civic duty to serve on a jury. It's not as if they are asking you to put your life on the line to serve your country.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Super Contributor

@kaydee50 - I'm not sure how it goes elsewhere, but here the cutoff age is 70. I'm not thrilled to be over 70, but sometimes the perks are good. 🤗

Hope it works for you if you get summoned.💗

Honored Contributor

I get called up about every other year and sometimes yearly for 20+ years now.  I work just across the street from our counties courthouse so no trouble for me.   Park at my building for work instead of the juror parking a mile away and come back to my desk on lunch and breaks.  I would never ever disregard a jury notice it will catch up with you. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did jury duty a couple of years ago... a week it took as I was chosen to be on a jury. I found it to be a huge waste of my time.  I will never do it again... and I  would never consider to do it during this pandemic until it is totally over.  If I ever get a card in the mail I will throw it away.

They are not inviting you to lunch.  Be careful.  The following is from the Oklahoma Bar Association.  Don't know about where you live but in my experience the OK courts are a little testy about people not responding:

The Importance of Your Service

You have been summoned to provide an important service as a juror. You enjoy the privileges of citizenship and the protection of your liberties and property by the government. In return, you have a duty as a citizen to participate in a very important aspect of our democracy – jury duty. As a juror, you will serve as an officer of the court for a short time, along with the attorneys and the judge. You will be a part of the judicial system of our state, and your services are as important as those of the judge.

Trial by jury is the foundation of the American judicial system. In a civil case, it is the jury's duty to decide issues of fact in disputes over private rights such as property rights, contract rights and damages for personal injury. In a criminal case, it is the jurors that people rely upon for the protection of life, liberty and property. Jury service is the fulfillment of a civic obligation. Our system of justice will not work without your participation.

Q: I received a summons – what do I have to do?
A: A summons is an official court document sent to you by a court clerk. When you receive a summons, you are REQUIRED to appear at the court described, at the time that is listed on the summons. Failure to report can result in contempt charges and the imposition of a fine and/or community service for the length of the trial on which you would have served.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

If they call me to bad not doing this during a Pandemic.

@Nightowlz You do know you can be sent to jail for not complying?  I hear jail isn't so great in a pandemic either. 

@Sooner 

I know that but I'm still not doing it or going to jail.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

If they call me to bad not doing this during a Pandemic.

@Nightowlz You do know you can be sent to jail for not complying?  I hear jail isn't so great in a pandemic either. 

@Sooner 

I know that but I'm still not doing it or going to jail.

@Nightowlz  Well anarchy seems to be in vogue now.  So fine for you to just ignore the law.