Honored Contributor

Re: Help me understand this!

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56wrote:

@Carmie lol, in my neck of the woods it is not done that way...it is an old cemetary from 1862.. the family is very prominent in this town...even getting a headstone engraved would not take seven months...

I know that a new headstone won’t be placed until the ground is settled...they are  actually cemented into the ground and placed on a bed of gravel.  If the ground is not settled, the headstone will lean and sink.

It is costly to have a headstone removed to have new engraving put on it too.  Most often the husband and wife’s name and DOB are engraved at the same time and the Date of death is added with a plaque on the headstone.

i hope your friends family are not too cheap to get her a headstone or marker.  They are expensive.  My MIL’s headstone with engraving, her picture added and installation was $4800. All of us chipped in to pay for it.  It’s a pink and gray granite stone that she loved. We got a nice discount because my BIL ( her son) is a funeral director and recommends that company because they do beautiful work.

A flat stone placed into the ground is much less expensive.

Honored Contributor

While it is sad for those left behind the most important thing as I see it is how they treated her while she lived.If they also neglected her during her life that would be extra sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fourpaws56@dex@Carmie@StraytoStay@ECBG  Surprising that someone doesn't mow a Catholic cemetary and remove the flowers before winter.  Usually small cemetaries have volunteers from the Church to take care of such things. Perhaps the individual(s) have been ill?  Or, perhaps your friend has been keeping her husband's grave site tidy prior to her death.

As far as the missing headstone, perhaps the family needed to order matching marble or are searching for the perfect quote, biblical verse, etc., for their family member and would rather have it done appropriately than quickly. As far as putting up a headstone, a previous poster is absolutely correct about erecting a headstone when the ground is frozen or wet. It's not going to happen. Also, in a small community it would take someone from a larger area to bring a large marble headstone (after the carving was completed), prepare the site, and return to erect the headstone properly. It's a tedious job, which then requires the landscaping to be replaced. Not a job to be done in a small cemetary in poor weather or if there are not other stones to be placed in nearby cemetaries on the same trip. 

I wouldn't say anything to anyone since it's really no one elses business except the family members. It's very, very kind of you to visit your friend and have removed the mess. I'm glad you plan to place fresh flowers for Easter weekend. Blessings for thinking of your friend.

I hope you continue to visit her final resting place without judgement. Grieving is such an individual process for everyone. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

Maybe your friend was the one who took care of her husband's grave. Now there is nobody willing or able to take care of hers. 

I have 4 siblings who live near my mother's grave. I live 3 hours away. I went to the cemetery 3 months after my mom's service and was surprised to find the dried up flowers, etc still there. I didn't say anything to them as I know everyone does grieve in their own way and maybe they just couldn't go there. I wish I was closer as I found it peaceful to be there and take care of this special place. I hope they eventually feel the same.

Trusted Contributor

Maybe there are financial issues.  Headstones are not cheap.  Maybe after a long illness there were not enough funds for a headstone.  Just a possibility.

Honored Contributor

You never know how people are going to grieve.  My father was one to go to the cemetery and visit his families graves.  My father passed in 2009.  My mother finds it difficult to go to his grave and hasn't.  That's her way of dealing with things.  I've decided it's her husband and her grief.  She's never wanted to talk about it and I don't press her. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm sure it's upsetting to see a dear friend's final resting place look forgotten and not taken care of.  How nice of you to be concerned and to try to tidy it up as much as you can...I'm sure she would appreciate your kindness!  

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56,I am so, so sorry for the pain you are going through for your sweet friend.  I'll say a special prayer for you both.   Bless you for caring.

Respected Contributor

@Lila4Nowwrote:

Maybe there are financial issues.  Headstones are not cheap.  Maybe after a long illness there were not enough funds for a headstone.  Just a possibility.

They are the wealthiest family in town....she was not ill at all, her death was unexpected

Honored Contributor

I believe whoever owns the cemetery is responsible for the basic upkeep of the grounds, including removing old flowers. I wouldn’t judge a family because they don’t visit the gravesite. I can’t do it either. As for the headstone, I can’t think of a tactful way to ask about it.