Trusted Contributor

Re: 🎄Having Ourselves a Verry Little Christmas🎄

Found out this morning my BIL tested positive for covid.  I was supposed to drive up on Wednesday to stay with my sister and him for a few days.  I should get my test results tomorrow.

But ... now I'll be home alone.  I've never spent Christmas by myself, so this is a first.  

Our family always had a very big Christmas Eve celebration as it was also my younger nephew's and dad's birthdays.  Dad passed last year.  

I'm hoping to drive up Sunday for a few days so we can celebrate together.  My older nephew and his wife had a baby girl in September and I know we have to be safe for her.

But, coming from an over the top Italian family, this is a first for me.

Respected Contributor

We are going to meet at a ramada at a local park (supposed to be around 70 that day).  We will each open a present and then take home the rest to open.  Hopefully, have a few Christmas treats while we do that.  We celebrated a family birthday in October the same way.  All wearing masks and sitting 6 feet away.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme -

That is so precious. I can just picture him smiling-what a sweetheart!

Now that is a wonderful Christmas companion!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

DH and I will be alone as well. DS and DIL are working at their hospitals and have stayed away due to their high exposure to covid. My only wish for Christmas is that they stay well.

Other than that worry, DH and I will enjoy a glass of wine and a nice dinner in front of the fire, watch a movie or an old episode of Vera that we missed and count our blessings. So many of our fellow Americans are suffering greatly right now through no fault of their own. I pray that the future will be better.

Trusted Contributor

Husband and I are going to my daughter's for Christmas Eve dinner and then back Christmas morning to watch the grandkids open their Santa gifts.  Her in-laws will be in and out.  Would have loved to have my son there but he is still deployed overseas.  On the upside he gets sent back to his home base (Washington state) in January so at least he will be stateside again in 2021.  I didn't put up a tree as we were SUPPOSED to have all our windows, doors and siding replaced and where I normally put my tree up is by the slider so I didn't.  But they have been slow getting our windows and doors so, still waiting on that and no tree.  But my daughter always decorates so beautifully even in their tiny apartment waiting for their new house to be built in 2021.  So I'll just enjoy her tree.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our granddaughters celebrate Hanukkah and had their mountains of gifts including roller skates to wear around their cul de sac. They sent videos yesterday. I miss being with them . Knowing they're only a half hour away just kills me. 

My DIL, althought raising the Girls Jewish with my DS, is Catholic. She has a small decorated tree, lights and beautiful decorations out front, and I always kept her company at mass since she moved South away from her family. Can't do that either.

With most of the hospitals full, feeling the pinch from those who gathered at Thanksgiving, I'm fearful what the situation will be after Christmas. There will be more  Covid patients and those people will other illnesses  won't have a bed. 

Honored Contributor

We too will be having our first "minimalized Christmas".  But like the townspeople in the Grinch movie, Christmas will come along just the same.  We just won't all be holding hands and singing around the Christmas tree this year.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@house_cat   Enjoy your smaller holiday with your son. So thoughtful that he tested first.

We didn't put up our Hanukkah tree this year. It's an artificial,  pre-lit, 18' feet high tree and we decorated it with Hanukkah ornaments and snowflakes, small jeweled ornaments the kids have made, pics of our dogs and their dog.

It's an effort to drag it down from the attic and set it up in the living room/great room knowing no one is coming  here except the cable man. 

We always had it decorated by Halloween so the kids enjoyed it at trick or treat, well that didn't happen. We missed the tree and mostly the lights when the we turned down the house lights in the evening to watch TV or read. It's going up next Oct. come he*l or high water. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   No flack or judgement from me. I'm more than relieved myself. I used to be obligated to have a small cocktail party at the house for DH's employees/spouses and some clients. It involved a lot of preparation and I'm not comfortable with small talk.

Honored Contributor

Just me this year!  First time ever alone for Christmas. It will be fine just like Thanksgiving was.

Will watch Christmas movies and relax and come here and social media too. 

Friends and family and I will be texting like we did Thanksgiving too.

I will miss my family being together but I will still have joy and peace.

Man WinkMan Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller