Trusted Contributor

Identity fraud....just keeps happening....

My son was just informed by his employer that someone filed for unemployment insurance using his name and SS number.  😡 

Last spring, someone filed a claim against me with my car insurance provider saying I broke their truck mirror with my mirror.  They said it happened in a town in the western part of my state and somehow they had my license plate number.  I had never even heard of the town and had to look it up on a map.  There was no way my little car could even reach the mirror on a Silverado truck.  I could also prove that I was at work at the exact day and time they said it happened because there are cameras all over at work and we have to use our badges to get in and out of the buildings.  

Just makes me so mad that there are such nasty people that do these stupid scams!  Grrr!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Identity fraud....just keeps happening....

It's kinda of scary. What this does to a person life and to them financially. I feel for anyone that this has happened to.

Esteemed Contributor

The same thing happened with my daughter in law with the unemployment claim. I don't remember how that turned out. 

I'm sorry that this keeps happening to you. 

Someone got my parents credit card info last year, and I felt like I was taking my daddy around the world (but it was all in Arkansas) trying to get it straightened out. I was so mad, its just infuriating what people do. 

I'm glad you were able prove you were at work when the car insurance claim was filed. People are brazen. 

Honored Contributor

It's pretty hard to get away with filing a fraudulent unemployment claim.  There are too many checks and balances.  I spent about 5 years supervising a unit of UI claims investigators.  Very interesting job.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The unemployment benefits scam has been all over the news now for a few weeks.

The fraudsters are prisoners from all over the country.  The prisoners have stolen millions of dollars.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@happycat People sure are brazen!  Wouldn't change anything, but I would love to give them a piece of my mind!  😠

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624   I bet you have some interesting stories after working that job!

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz. Oh yes, great stories.  As soon as Congress passed that emergency UI bill, I could see it would be fraught with fraud as there were no provisions for preventing it.  It was a rush job done without thought or planning, a give away for crooks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Why wouldn't they keep stealing, nothing happens to anyone these days.

Two years ago now this December I got a phone call from my bank telling me that my debit card had been used to draw out $483.

Know why it was that much?  Because accordding to the bank investigator they do not pursue cases where amounts under $500 are involved.

The investigator kept saying, "Why are you so upset?  The money has already been put back in your account!"

I said, "Well, I'm one person.  Think of all the people who got gas at those pumps."

Here's what happened.  I used my card to get gas at a pump.  Someone broke into the pump and took out the magnetic stape that is stored.  That way they have my account number AND the pin number.

I now get gas at an EXXON company owned gas station.  It has a piece of tape over near where the tank is opened to get the magnetic tape from.

Every now and then I'll pull up and there's no tape in there.  I go to another tank where there is a piece of tape.

Liars and thieves can always get away with everything.  Let a normal good person make a mistake and their butts will be in jail in a second.

It's terrible especially this time of year.  Look at what you see people breaking the law and nothing happens.

Contributor

Somebody got about $1,100 from my unemployment insurance account many years ago.  The perp was ultimately tracked to our company’s outside payroll service.  It was a gift that kept on giving because a couple of years later, my state’s taxing authorities and the IRS both came after me for failure to report the $1,100 as income.  I was able to prove that I had been scammed and both the state and IRS backed off.  It was a major hassle.