Respected Contributor

Re: HOUSE GUESTS ....LOVE EM? OR?

[ Edited ]

Agree with many others. No, not a fan of having one (or more) or being one !  It just feels awkward and intrusive on both sides. I minimize having to do it or just say no, if possible!

But by far the worst is a house guest who doesn't pitch in and expects the host to shoulder the extra work. No good.

Honored Contributor

Without Covid we would have had a lot of house guests. It's fine with me, I actually enjoy it, and our house is big enough and the upstairs is theirs and one downstairs guest room.

I despise staying with people though.  My husband loves it, but that's one I win!  

Respected Contributor

I LOVE visiting my sister! She's the most gracious hostess ever, and goes out of her way to make her guests extra comfy and cared for.

I used to have a big, old house in New England, and the door was always open to anyone who needed a place to stay.

I loved having company, especially young people.

When my sister's son was touring the U.S. with his band, they stayed with me when they had a nearby gig. It was great!

Our parents were wonderful hosts, and company always got the best, & that even meant that the company got my parent's room while they stayed on the pull out couch.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I consider myself a *neatnic*, too. 

So I'm happy doing the cleanup after dinner as an example.  Even for a regular meal with company, I'd rather clear the table myself and load the dishwasher.  I hate when I have a dozen people coming at me with their plates.

I have a few basic rules.  No shoes in the house.  And if your feet are dirty, wash them off outside.  If your socks are filthy--take them off!

Everyone washes up before they come to the table.  

Everyone showers or bathes before bed.  My sheets are clean and you should be, too.

My grandchildren usually bring friends now when they come to stay and they have no problem telling them what the rules are.  I rarely have to say anything.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

I'm a very private, quiet person by nature and we get A LOT of houseguests.  I'm good for two nights, maybe three, but anything longer than that stresses me out greatly. 

I find it impossible to tell my beloved friends and family that I cannot tolerate them for more than a couple of days, so I do the best I can to deal with it, but it takes its toll on me physically and emotionally. Everyone says I'm an amazing hostess, and I do believe that I am based on how exhausted it all makes me and how much money it inevitably costs.

My best friend in all the world just left this morning after an 8 night visit. As much as I love her,   I cannot tell you how happy I am to be sitting here alone right now.

DH can't understand. He "jokes" that I'm antisocial, but of course he's not the one who does all the work.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE

Said family guest left. I spent so much time ( days) figuring out the menu, shopping and making sure house was in order. BTW, DH helped me a lot.

Today she sent him an e-mail thanking him for the "short" but nice time she had.

DH asked me about her leaving me out, but I said it doesn't matter.

What I really meant was that..I hope she doesn't come back too soon.

Tomorrow I have to get busy and strip the bed, wash the sheets, towels, bath tub,sink and fix the bed again.

The best thing about over nighters, is when they leave and I can be  my self again and the house is back to normal. 

Thanks for all the replies. You kept my spirit up and I didn't make any trouble in the family. But it was close!