Respected Contributor

Funeral Viewing Question

[ Edited ]

I am curious about something and would like to get understanding from others.

For example, say your sister passes.  She is local, married with grown children and grown grandchildren.  Would you feel that as sibling you need or it is your place to be present for the entire time of both visitation periods.  

I know this probably is a personal preference, but just would like to know others experiences.

I really don't have much experience in this, my mother passed before most of her siblings and I can't remember much from my father's family.  Just to preface, this is not my sibling that passed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Funeral Viewing Question

Yes

Respected Contributor

@GCR18  

Thank you.  I appreciate you sharing.

Respected Contributor

I would agree that the family needs to be present for all hours of the viewing.  It is also a time for people to express condolences and share memories with the family.  Most viewings are only a couple of hours at a time.

Honored Contributor

Unless this is a hardship, absolutely.  People who know your loved one through you will wonder why you are not there.  If you have flown to a distant location and no one knows you even exist, that's different. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, if your health permits it and your presence is wanted.

Respected Contributor

I think you said it best already...it's a personal preference. There are no hard and fast rules. And family situations are all so very different...and complicated.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I am curious about something and would like to get understanding from others.

For example, say your sister passes.  She is local, married with grown children and grown grandchildren.  Would you feel that as sibling you need or it is your place to be present for the entire time of both visitation periods.  

I know this probably is a personal preference, but just would like to know others experiences.

I really don't have much experience in this, my mother passed before most of her siblings and I can't remember much from my father's family.  Just to preface, this is not my sibling that passed.

You mention both visitations? Why are there two. 

I do think that a sibling should be present unless there are circumstances that prevent it. Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

If it were my sister, I'd be there for her immediate family to receive visitors. Our family is small, but we know a lot of the same people. There's usually only 1-2 visits before the funeral anyway. Some people that know her, we knew from childhood and her Immed. Family may not know them. I think for those who take the time to come and pay their respects, should be met by a family member. That's my feelings on it. If her Immed. family needed my help on something, I'd want to be there for them.

Esteemed Contributor

My response will not be met with favor...but our family all of us...are being cremated right after our death..no viewing...

We all keep in touch with one another all the time..so there is no need to sit for a day or two till being buried or cremated...

Before my aunt died she said she wanted to be cremated immediately...she said if people didn't come and see me when i was alive...i don't want them viewing me after i am dead..

All of us feel the same....