Super Contributor

I usually had a family friend, who is an accountant, do my taxes for me each year. My situation is very easy -- I have no dependents and still rent in a large city.

Do you think I can do my own taxes?  Any tips?

Honored Contributor

I can't see why not.   I've always done my own.  When I first started working ... my father sat with me and we went line by line.  At first, it was all short froms ... later when I owned property, etc., there were deductions.   Not at all complicated - even with all sorts of deductions.   

Organize all your payroll / income / tax / contribution papers and just follow along step by step.  In come localities, there is free tax assistance through public libraries or commmunity centers.

Super Contributor

I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes.  It is very easy because it askes you questions then fills in the forms with the answers.  If you don't know how to answer it has a help button to give you more information.  The second year is even easier because it auto fills some of the information from the previous year.

When you complete your taxes, compare them with the one your friend did last year.  If your finances are pretty much the same, your taxes you do yourself will look close to what last years was. 

You can do it.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

There are Web sights you can go on. Just fill out the information.  It's very easy. Turbo  Tax is one of them. I done this one myself.

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004

If nothing has changed you can use last years for a guide and fill in the numbers from 2016.  If you get stuck I think the local libraries have people who will help (at least where I live).  

Super Contributor

This is exciting. I thought everyone was going to tell me to seek a professional. I'm interested to give this a try. Thanks for all the great advice!

Valued Contributor

I use Freetaxusa. I went to IRS website and found it.  It's very easy to use.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I think you'll find it easy.  As @DiAnne mentioned, check your library's website.  Ours offers free filing assistance.

QVC Customer Care

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

I usually had a family friend, who is an accountant, do my taxes for me each year. My situation is very easy -- I have no dependents and still rent in a large city.

Do you think I can do my own taxes?  Any tips?

I sure do!  Choose a website, follow the steps, plug your numbers in and watch it work.  It's really easy, it calculates for you and shows you what your refund will be.  My only suggestion is to use at least 2 different sites to see which one is giving you the better refund or least amount due.  I hope this helps.  Good luck! Smiley Happy  

Melvin, Customer Care 

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004

I'm here to tell you  - Yes You Can!

I am paranoid about the government and IRS and overpaid a CPA for nearly 15 years to do my taxes.  I itemize - just a homeowner - no complicated investments or anything.  I tried out Turbo Tax for the 2015 tax year and it was a breeze.

Instead of paying along the lines of $185, I paid $60 I think.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise