Trusted Contributor

Re: Food Talk: What is your favorite....

@Andreatoo  I was raised on my mom, grandmother and aunts Italian food. Nothing high falooting. Peasant food. We weren't poor but real Italian peasant food is the best IMO. Simple ingredients usually found in your home grow gardens then whipped into magnificent and flavorful meals.

My dad was of Eastern European ancestry. He cooked as well. Pierogi, kolbasi, potato pancakes, mushroom and barley soup. All kinds of goodies.

So, I guess I will have to say that I am partial to those two cuisines. However, I eat ALL types of cuisines. I love Greek, Spanish from Spain, Puerto Rician mafongo, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, German weiner schnitzel and saurbraten, Indian food. And I have recently, in the past year, gotten into Middle Eastern food. So good.

I also enjoy good ole American cuisine. A good burger or hot dog. A nice bbq'd ribeye steak, corn on the cob. Apple pie.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I love the tomato and garlic that is Italian!!!

@ECBG Oh but the tomato is not Italian!  Woman Very Happy Peppers?  Nope!  Polenta? Nope!  Corn is New World.  Squash?  Also. AND chocolate! 

So I find it amusing when all these things are so much a part of "traditional" cooking.  What did people eat before New World foods arrived?  Not potatoes. . . Woman Frustrated Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop 

Some of the best dishes are peasant food! Adding things like eggs for a cheap source of protein etc.

There is a Peruvian dish that I love that's sliced boiled potatoes hard-boiled egg cheese jalapeños and peanut sauce! Sounds strange but you can't imagine how delicious all that is together lol

Esteemed Contributor

Thai

Vietnamese

South Indian

Northern Italian

Authentic Mexican

Peruvian

New England Seafood

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

I am with you on the northern Italian. I love me a good risotto but what a pain it is to make! Lol. I had a great recipe for a wild mushroom and mascarpone risotto that was outstanding

I like the southern Italian too but I prefer northern

I've only eaten Vietnamese the one time and it was fusion not traditional. My son and I tried it during the local restaurant month. We enjoyed it but don't ask me what I ate! Lol

My ex and I tried Korean once but neither of us were very impressed. But I do love me a good kimchi!

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Queen of shop 

Some of the best dishes are peasant food! Adding things like eggs for a cheap source of protein etc.

There is a Peruvian dish that I love that's sliced boiled potatoes hard-boiled egg cheese jalapeños and peanut sauce! Sounds strange but you can't imagine how delicious all that is together lol

@Andreatoo  I was definitely intrigued. LOL. I found on youtube a Peruvian recipe called "papas a la huancaina". Sounds a lot like the dish you have had. So simple and I surely believe it is yummy. I will have to make this soon. Great thread.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop 

Remember to let me know how it turns out! When I see it in restaurants it's always minus the peanut sauce and I prefer it with the peanuts (and spicy peppers)

Esteemed Contributor

Greek, Thai, Indian, Mexican

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Armenian....i miss my mom's cooking.........

Esteemed Contributor

Southern would be my first choice but I love Greek food and Cuban food.