Trusted Contributor

Re: Empty Shelves In Your Area?

Yes - its nuts.  Soup seems like a big item in my area.  Also dairy.

Its pathetic people started gouging people with obscene prices - they have the attitude that if they didn't do it someone else would or they complain they need the money.

Just evil.

Honored Contributor

Tried to order online last night both Peapod and Fresh Direct were booking deliveries a week from now, finally got Instacart and they will deliver Tuesday morning.

We went to a small Acme in Bronxville NY after dinner The cashier said it had been crazy and there was one guy on the other line that must’ve had 10 containers of hand soap, 20 gallons of water several containers of milk and a case of toilet tissue I guess he’s expecting the zombie apocalypse. People are getting seriously scared by the media there has to be a level ground somewhere

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Looking for Kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.? DH was just at Staples for office supplies and surprised to see cases of things other stores no longer have...Just passing it along. 

@Shanus 

Sometimes we have to think outside of the box. I wanted disposable gloves, which is another item that stores are out of. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and purchased a box of 100 for myself and a good GF asked me to pick up a box for her. 

@icezeus 

You were lucky.  I went to Sally's a week ago and bought the last box of size medium disposable gloves.  And that was before our first cases were announced. (and I thought I was being soooo clever, going to Sallys, ha!)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I hope ya'll are not only washing hands when you get home, but wiping down cans, packages and whatever you can before storing them away. 

@Shanus 

I have a pick-up order scheduled at Walmart tomorrow.  I thought that I'd just wipe down anything that needs to be refrigerated, then let all of the rest of it sit for 3-4 days before unpacking.  That should take care of the time period the virus can supposedly live on hard surfaces.  I hope....

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@icezeus wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Looking for Kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.? DH was just at Staples for office supplies and surprised to see cases of things other stores no longer have...Just passing it along. 

@Shanus 

Sometimes we have to think outside of the box. I wanted disposable gloves, which is another item that stores are out of. I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and purchased a box of 100 for myself and a good GF asked me to pick up a box for her. 

@icezeus 

You were lucky.  I went to Sally's a week ago and bought the last box of size medium disposable gloves.  And that was before our first cases were announced. (and I thought I was being soooo clever, going to Sallys, ha!)

@shoesnbags 

But I thought that I was being so clever. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I'm baffled by the hoarding of TP. From what I've read, diarrhea is not an issue with this virus. Maybe it's the fear of a possible personal quarantine for 2 weeks....or maybe it's folks with very large families. Or maybe it's just hoarding or panic. Whatever it is - it's baffling to some of us.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I hope ya'll are not only washing hands when you get home, but wiping down cans, packages and whatever you can before storing them away. 

@Shanus 

I have a pick-up order scheduled at Walmart tomorrow.  I thought that I'd just wipe down anything that needs to be refrigerated, then let all of the rest of it sit for 3-4 days before unpacking.  That should take care of the time period the virus can supposedly live on hard surfaces.  I hope....

@shoesnbags   I admit to going a wee bit over the top with this, but I'm leaving grocery bags in trunk and carrying in provisions then throwing out the bags outside. Purchased lots of extra lg. trash bags, too. 

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I'm baffled by the hoarding of TP. From what I've read, diarrhea is not an issue with this virus. Maybe it's the fear of a possible personal quarantine for 2 weeks....or maybe it's folks with very large families. Or maybe it's just hoarding or panic. Whatever it is - it's baffling to some of us.

@jannabelle1   Lol. Judging from the assortment of strange foods and combinations of snacks, wine, beer, frozen nuggets, pizzas, corn dogs, etc. TP just may be more than necessary. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think there is a psychological phenomenon going on. People want to act in ways that indicate control over a stressful situation. Buying t-paper, water, and groceries can make people feel as if they're prepared for whatever may come. That may not be true but these shopping actions may provide a sense of solace and protection against the unseen viral enemy.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I think there is a psychological phenomenon going on. People want act in ways that indicate control over a stressful situation. Buying t-paper, water, and groceries can make people feel as if they're prepared for whatever may come. That may not be true but these shopping actions may provide a sense of solace and protection against the unseen viral enemy.

@Vivian   I agree. We have little snow clearing equipment for side streets, so when predicted, I'm up bright and early getting bottled water, TP, frozen & canned food, etc. If I had grown up in the North, I would have been more experienced driving in bad weather. DH grew up in NY but says few here know how to handle the roads and doesn't want to be "sitting duck".