Honored Contributor

Re: Empty Shelves In Your Area?

@lovesrecess wrote:
The world has gone absolutely nuts. People here are grabbing random stuff and hoarding ridiculous stuff....how many boxes of saltines and pkgs of bacon do you really need to quarantine for 14 days? 8 boxes of crackers and 6 lbs of bacon? The toilet paper thing has me baffled. If we are required to stay in for 14 days, it is starting to sound like a good thing after dealing with craziness in the stores; no more for me. I don’t fight anyone for soup or toilet paper. Btw, paper napkins are in full supply, so buy those instead.

@lovesrecess   Not trying to be funny, but if I ate 6 lbs. of bacon (!!!), extra toilet paper would be necessary!

Honored Contributor

@sipp wrote:

UPDATE:-- stopped at 4:00 today- they had bananas! Shelves were empty by 2:00P.M of the "essentials" I mentioned earlier (including dog and cat food) -- Seems the media told people if they got the virus they'd have to be quaranteed "in home" as long as it wasn't really bad- and to make sure they had their pet food as well as all the other stuff and you had to designate ONE ROOM for all of it and stay in it!)---- anyhow- the shelves which supposedly been restocked were all empty AGAIN- and now WEGMAN's which was a 24 hour open store- has now gone to open from 6:00Am to 12:00 midnite - then closing for restocking- SO that  means EVERYONE will be crowding in there at once anyhow- and people who are working will probably not be able to get anything if they go later since the "HOARDERS" and IGNORANT people will clear everything out early again. HOW Is shortening hours of shopping going to help other than to make long lines of (possibly) a SICK person sharing their germs? 

@sipp   When I've been food shopping at the beginning of the week, carts were clogging the aisles making it very difficult for those huge pallets stocked w/ new goods to come down the aisles. I assume closing the store for those hours not only gives them time to restock shelves, but give employees a much needed rest and hopefully the opportunity to get out their cleaning supplies and sanitize the area. 

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: possible text that says 'If you need 144 rolls of toilet paper for a 14 day quarantine you probably should've been seeing a Doctor long before COVID-19'

Esteemed Contributor

I placed a grocery order with Aldi's. Everything arrived except the package of toilet paper that was on my list. I don't know why people are hoarding this stuff. The corona virus is not an intestinal bug. I just learned that my health club is closing until further notice. I had already frozen my membership a few days ago. These are extraordinary times.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to three different Walmarts today.  All were out of napkins, paper towels, bleach, and toilet paper.  The bread and pasta aisles were almost bare.    

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I placed a grocery order with Aldi's. Everything arrived except the package of toilet paper that was on my list. I don't know why people are hoarding this stuff. The corona virus is not an intestinal bug. I just learned that my health club is closing until further notice. I had already frozen my membership a few days ago. These are extraordinary times.

@Vivian In a few ways.  It reminds me of the lines at Thanksgiving and people spending the night in parking lots for the specials.

Remember the Christmas in the '60's or 70's when people were hoarding sugar at Christmas because of an issue?  Maybe a shortage?

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I went to three different Walmarts today.  All were out of napkins, paper towels, bleach, and toilet paper.  The bread and pasta aisles were almost bare.    

@wildcat fan Try online.

Respected Contributor

I started accumulating stuff almost 2 weeks ago. Even back then, hand sanitizers were completely gone in the 3 stores I checked. Started buying 2 of the important stuff. Ordered stuff from Amazon that I couldn’t find locally. I figured since Dh and I are in our 60s we should be proactive. Thought being prepared and then staying away from crowds would be helpful after all, the longer we can stretch this out, the less we tax our hospital staff workers and the less chance hospitals will have a severe shortage of needed respirators.

Then I see the conversations online. First, folks were laughing at those who prepped. Now they’re angry about supplies being gone. Can’t win. 

Thankful I bought extras. Last night I found out my son and his fellow workers were very likely exposed to Covid19. (Long story) Today I sent him a care package with Chlorox wipes, gloves, masks, Cold Eeze, Vitamin c, TP, etc. My supplies are down but if you’re a parent you understand. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I started accumulating stuff almost 2 weeks ago. Even back then, hand sanitizers were completely gone in the 3 stores I checked. Started buying 2 of the important stuff. Ordered stuff from Amazon that I couldn’t find locally. I figured since Dh and I are in our 60s we should be proactive. Thought being prepared and then staying away from crowds would be helpful after all, the longer we can stretch this out, the less we tax our hospital staff workers and the less chance hospitals will have a severe shortage of needed respirators.

Then I see the conversations online. First, folks were laughing at those who prepped. Now they’re angry about supplies being gone. Can’t win. 

Thankful I bought extras. Last night I found out my son and his fellow workers were very likely exposed to Covid19. (Long story) Today I sent him a care package with Chlorox wipes, gloves, masks, Cold Eeze, Vitamin c, TP, etc. My supplies are down but if you’re a parent you understand. 

@Kalli - I started preparing also, probably two weeks ago or so. . I never keep a lot of food on hand. I meant we have food, but not an extensive supply. There are just two of us and we eat out quite a bit so I knew I had to up my game some. Now, tp, paper towels, meds and stuff I always keep a really good stock of.

So we have a really good supply. Not a hoard certainly, but a good supply. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh , we are similar!

Dh and I go out to eat at least twice a week. But we do have enough in our freezer and cupboard to last 2 weeks. I sure would miss fresh fruits and veggies, though.  And I love Giant’s organic stuff. But this should be the least of our worries I guess. 

Take care!