Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@BExplorer My son has recently married a young woman who was born and raised in China and in the Chinese culture meals are a communal activity so everyone shares the main dishes and the only individualized item is a personal bowl of rice for each person at the table.

She makes dumplings--potstickers--and the dipping sauce from scratch.

Her hands fly through the steps and the results are light as a feather and delicious. 

Thank you for the culture lesson @aroc3435 !  How interesting, and I feel like I should have known that 😳.  I would love to experience that kind of diversity 😊.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

My husband, son and I like Chinese, but don't love it, so there are very few items on the menu we would consider trying. We usually order the same thing every time we go and there are usually no left overs, if there are we would never take it with us.

Honored Contributor

Hi ya @Sooner 

I have a small and a larger rice cooker I use. Pretty automatic, even with water lines in the cooker. So you cook the rice first/put it in a pan, and bake it? Hey, if it crisps it up, sounds like delicious to me. 

My small cooker makes way then enough for me unless I am famished, which I seldom allow anymore. Have to ask my wife about this baking thing. Right now with her TKR barely 3 weeks in, I am doing about 90% of everything here, which is fine with me.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@BExplorer My son has recently married a young woman who was born and raised in China and in the Chinese culture meals are a communal activity so everyone shares the main dishes and the only individualized item is a personal bowl of rice for each person at the table.

She makes dumplings--potstickers--and the dipping sauce from scratch.

Her hands fly through the steps and the results are light as a feather and delicious. 

@aroc3435   That's interesting. So sharing is obviously the authentic way to go. Love potstickers...can't stop eating those things. Purchased the frozen ones PF Chang's at Sam's....ate way too many. I'll never have many on hand again!!

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

We order of own and may taste each other's dish. I wonder why the sharing is common and expected with Chinese and Asian food but not other cuisines?  

@BExplorer   I'm sure it's traditional. We ate at DH's Italian friends' house on a Sunday. Wow. Lotsa food and they passed big bowls of everything around the table and insisted we taste it all. Not exactly the same, but just a cultural thing that guests should be well fed?

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
You could not pay my husband to eat Asian food, period.

I will only eat beef and broccoli, or chicken and broccoli, I do not eat rice or noodles with it, and the brown sauce it's covered with goes down the drain.

Teacher daughter goes out to eat Chinese food with her friends; she orders the same thing all the time; beef and broccoli, hot and sour soup, and egg roll. Trucker daughter and her boyfriend eat Japanese food regularly. Whatever she gets has noodles and vegetables and smells up my refrigerator.

@RedTop   Ooooh! Lock 'N Lock. No smelly refrigerator. 

Trusted Contributor

I am not a fan of Chinese food so when I am with my friends and the Chinese food wins the vote as what to eat I order only one thing because there is only one thing on the menu I like. I do like white and fried rice so that is something I might be willing to share with someone if there is enough. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

My husband, son and I like Chinese, but don't love it, so there are very few items on the menu we would consider trying. We usually order the same thing every time we go and there are usually no left overs, if there are we would never take it with us.

@blackhole99   Seems like I'm the only one who likes to put the leftovers in the microwave for lunch. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   We always bring what we have not eaten home....zap them in the microwave and we have another meal.....sometimes we stop at a local resturant and pick up eggrolls.....

Honored Contributor

I'm really surprised that most people don't share when it comes to Chinese food. No matter the company, it's always been a share in my environment. Normally, if it's more than two people, each orders one dish for the table. Or more. :-) And that includes appetizers as well.

BTW, many "trendy" restaurants also invite sharing by offering small dishes. In fact, some are so known for those that the main dishes they have are often overlooked.

I also like sharing desserts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland