Honored Contributor

i enjoy dining alone.....and/or sitting at the bar alone.

love my own company, chat with people sitting around me, get to know the bartenders well, have my phone to play catch up, sometimes bring a magazine.

i have no problem doing it any time of the day or night. it is a great way to enjoy your own company and clear your mind.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i enjoy dining alone.....and/or sitting at the bar alone.

love my own company, chat with people sitting around me, get to know the bartenders well, have my phone to play catch up, sometimes bring a magazine.

i have no problem doing it any time of the day or night. it is a great way to enjoy your own company and clear your mind.

@sunshine45 

ITA .....    I might have sounded a little incredulous upthread because I enjoy eating alone and really look forward to any chance to do so.     Agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph,  Such a good feeling!  

Honored Contributor

Good for you!  Why were you embarrassed?  Many people enjoy a solo meal or going to movie alone or shopping alone.  I wish I could do that.  Perhaps that will be my 2022 resolution, just do more things by myself.  There sometimes things I want to do but I don't because I can't find anyone to go with me. I'm glad you posted this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dining alone

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Good for you!  Why were you embarrassed?  Many people enjoy a solo meal or going to movie alone or shopping alone.  I wish I could do that.  Perhaps that will be my 2022 resolution, just do more things by myself.  There sometimes things I want to do but I don't because I can't find anyone to go with me. I'm glad you posted this.

@chrystaltree   @Luvsmyfam 

I hope you keep that resolution ... it's so freeing to just be able to go do what you want and not have to solicit someone to go with you.    

After my divorce, I booked a vacation for hiking and river rafting on the Colorado River.   It was going to be either that, or sky diving.   I wanted to have an adventure.

It was a well planned tour with not only expert guides, but a biologist who gave amazing lectures and brought the whole area to life!    They set up camp each night for us, and the food situation was excellent.  There were about 20 of us on this tour ...  and I didn't know anyone else there, except for the guides I had spoken to by phone before signing up.

At the end of the 5 days,  we were picked up in small planes  which slowly went back over what we all had just covered.  It was a revelation to see the big red rocks and canyons from the sky.  I remember a hike one day when I was standing at the top of a small mountain, thinking if I can do this, I can do anything in my everyday life.

In my experience, it's a very freeing feeling to decide to do something "courageous", do it, and be proud of oneself after completion.   

All it takes is a little courage ...  I sincerely hope you decide to have an "adventure" in 2022.  Woman Happy  

Honored Contributor

I have no problem shopping alone, but I've never eaten alone.  I can't stand when I'm waiting for someone and I'm already at the table or if my husband goes to use the restroom.  I don't know what to look at---my glass of water?

Honored Contributor
I’ve eaten alone, traveled alone, gone to the movies or concerts alone. It’s never been something I even think about. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I promise. No one cares. 😁
Honored Contributor

Seems you had a great time.  Now you can venture out alone more often and enjoy your freedom

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I have no problem shopping alone, but I've never eaten alone.  I can't stand when I'm waiting for someone and I'm already at the table or if my husband goes to use the restroom.  I don't know what to look at---my glass of water?

@Lucky Charm 

Just curious, after you finished school, how long were you single before you got married?

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’ve eaten alone, traveled alone, gone to the movies or concerts alone. It’s never been something I even think about. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I promise. No one cares. 😁

@bikerbabe 

ITA .... but I never realized it was a challenge for some.  Never thought about it either.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer shopping alone and have no problem going to the Movies alone. Nobody asking me questions. And while I've eaten out alone, it's not my favorite thing to do but I will do it.