Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dining alone

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam 

No need to be embarrassed. Before Covid I often went out by myself to dine alone. I would have a book, look at my phone, talk with the wait staff, people watch.

When I was married my ex-husband did not like going to the movies, which I use to love. I would go to the theater and watch movies by myself often. 

I feel as if I am always dining with someone now. (lol)  I sort of miss the alone dining experience.. 

Happy New Year and just enjoy yourself no one is watching you and making judgements. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dining alone

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

after I got off work today,I went to a nice restraurant by my self,and had a great lunch.i was so hoping I wouldn't run into anyone I knew,kinda embarrassing dining alone.i could of went with parents,but they were dining at 5,and I knew I didn't want to wait that long. by the way,because I have no computer,and only a tablet,I don't capitalize anything.sorry!happy new year everyone and be safe!

@Luvsmyfam 

I had to read your post twice because I wasn't sure if you were serious or kidding.   

I find it difficult to believe that any grown woman would be "embarrassed" to eat alone in a restaurant.  Does having others with you give you some kind of validity?  Are you afraid for your personal safety?   Maybe you care too much about what others "might" think.   

I personally find it peaceful to eat alone, especially when I'm tired.  It's nice to not have to work to keep up a conversation with others.  

I also think it's geat to be able to enjoy a delicious meal, be alone with your thoughts and ponder whatever comes to mind.   It's also a good time to sort out things going on with you and the people you know.   

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 no,I wasn't kidding.ever since my divorce,I've always felt like a total looser when dining alone,which is why I hardly do this.most all my friends are married or have boyfriends.i have neither divorce does something to a person.gives them very low self esteem. I don't wish this on anyone

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach at times,yes this is very annoying 

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 no,I wasn't kidding.ever since my divorce,I've always felt like a total looser when dining alone,which is why I hardly do this.most all my friends are married or have boyfriends.i have neither divorce does something to a person.gives them very low self esteem. I don't wish this on anyone

@Luvsmyfam 

With all due respect, you are choosing this attitude, and can stop at any time. 

I used to facilitate divorce support groups and have been through one myself, plus a couple tough breakups.  Divorce is a new start, and every new experience makes you smarter and stronger.  It really doesn't matter what your friends have or do; it matters how you choose to live your life and a little independent thinking never hurts.  Please do not base your self esteem on comparisons to other people.

I wish you a happy and healthy New Year.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam 

I'm guessing it hasn't been too long since your divorce. It's wrenching no matter who takes the first step. I know since I was the one who knew it was time.

@Tinkrbl44 is a plain speaker and her words will make more sense the longer you're divorced. If I were you, I might store them away and re-read them occasionally. Again, it may be too soon.

On the other hand, good for you for taking the step to eat alone. Before long, it will feel normal and even fun.

You're not alone and you're not a loser. 

I hope you have a happy day. Find those capital letters! Woman Wink

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach funny thing,I've been divorced for 10 yrs.it seems like yesterday I was before a judge being granted one.no,this seems like a long grieving process.please don't judge.he happened to be my high-school sweetheart as well.maybe 2022 will be a good change for me.not here for sympathy,just friendship

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

Interesting. When I divorced, my self esteem got better. That is because I cut off that 190 pounds of deadweight that dragged me down in the dump for so many years. I was lucky the second time. We had 40 great years and I am grateful for that. But I agree with you on the dining alone. If I had to eat at restaurants to live...I wouldn't last long. Just don't enjoy it so I never do it. It is a personal choice that I don't think reflects on my self esteem.
Trusted Contributor

I would never eat in a restaurant by myself.....a McDonalds type maybe. I would just be uncomfortable dining alone. 

Honored Contributor

Years ago I had a few sales rep jobs  (one for Maybelline)  that required overnight travel across the state.  If I didn't eat alone I didn't eat at all. So I soon learned to enjoy mid priced dining by myself.  You can only handle so many drive-through meals.