Respected Contributor

Re: Did You Have Fun On These?

Yes, I do. I remember skating down the back road and losing it. Down I went and had gravel imbedded in my knees. OW. When I started going to the roller rink, I had a pair of white skates, of course, with pompoms on them. I skated for many years. Still would like to, but I don't need any broken body parts at my age. Good memory. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

You made me think of that song " I got a brand new pair of roller skates and you got a brand new key. " Lalalalalala  I always lost my key! 

Honored Contributor

We ice skated all the time as kids.  I didn't like those kind of roller skates since they never stayed on.

Contributor

I still have my skate key, on a lanyard.   There were four of us, each with a pair of skates and four skate keys.  Our mom put our initials on the keys using red nail polish.  Still have  all the skates ( in a box, moved here over 20 years ago ) and still have my Melanie albums. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, yes, lots of fun!  We used to take a shoestring and tie the key on and hang it around our neck so we wouldn't lose it.  Woe to those who lost theirs Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We were not allowed outside the yard so my dad poured concrete around the house for us to skate around on it.

I remember hours and hours of being on those skates and learning how to adjust them. Maybe it is why I could ice skate so well...all that balance and managing forward and backward movement !

Since we weren't allowed outside the fence, I never learned how to ride a bike...at 76 I got my first bike:

a Trike !   That I can handle, lol.

( I did learn to downhill ski and skied the Alps, but that bike balancing thing....never !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

No...I was a klutzy non-athletic girl and could never get the hang of roller skating.  I remember in junior high, the school had roller skating parties several times a year in the evening and I went once to roller skate and the other times I went to socialize and watch.  The first time,I about broke my wrist and was on the floor of the rink more than I was on my two feet.

I was actually much better at ice skating....although that doesn't make much sense LOL!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

LOL, that is a flash from the past. I never could get my shoes to stay just right in them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG     Oh yes!  I was born in 1955 and remember using these as a child on the streets in my neighborhood...   or best of all in the garage when the cars were not in it.. nice and smooth surface compared to the street..... of course no helmet or any protection... we were pretty fearless  in those days when playing.  They were very noisy too!

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

OMG I remember these like it was yesterday!!!! ... I had so much fun rolling around on these in the “good old days “ .... thanks for the memories @ECBG 

@January121  @ECBG 

Oh, so did I! Wonderful memories!