Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

The Guild show will be October 14-17.  I always take off the first day and open the show. First show since covid that isn't virtual!

Will you be coming up?

I'd love to spend the day with you and introduce you to some of the artists!!

Rooms go insanely fast!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Calling Shanus 7/27/2021

ECBG, I know you live somewhere near Asheville, NC. My husband and I are going to visit the are the second week in August to scope out the areas within 30 minutes around Asheville to find an area where we want to retire soon. We lived near Emerald Isle for 10 years over 12 years ago. We don't want to go back to the beach and love Western NC. We will be checking out Hendersonville, Waynesville, Burnsville Black MT.  My husband would like a couple of acres of a wooded lot. 

Do you have any thoughts that you would like to share with me? Thanks

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

ECBG, I know you live somewhere near Asheville, NC. My husband and I are going to visit the are the second week in August to scope out the areas within 30 minutes around Asheville to find an area where we want to retire soon. We lived near Emerald Isle for 10 years over 12 years ago. We don't want to go back to the beach and love Western NC. We will be checking out Hendersonville, Waynesville, Burnsville Black MT.  My husband would like a couple of acres of a wooded lot. 

Do you have any thoughts that you would like to share with me? Thanks

@Squirrel Lover 

Asheville is a medical hub with a hospital that is excellent as well as a heart tower compared to the Duke University Hospital.   Most people around drive here because of our excellent medical professionals as well.

A smaller town feeling would be around Hendersonville. NC where Kelly McGillis of Top Gun lives and the Carl Sandberg home is in a small nearby community.

Black Mountain,  N C also has a small town feeling, so  you don't have to be too far out you can't get services.

My choice would be Hendersonville which has many more good resturants, a lovely little down town, and a Fresh Market.

Burnsville is really far out with much more extreme weather, and few services..

Personally,  I would find Burnsville very limiting.

Waynesville is much further out and Western Carolina University is near the neighboring small town of Sylva.

Waynesville comes to Asheville for everything.  They get more extreme weather.  My customers from there are unhappy that they have to drive to get to everything.

We are near the Asheville Airport.  I wanted to build here 40 years ago because Asheville was so built up with tight main roads that can't be widened.

Billy Graham's "The Cove" is 20 minutes from me on the way to Black Mountain.

We aren't so far out; roads get scraped when it snows and we get good tower coverage for technology.

I can easily get to a hospital and have access to the doctors in the medical hub in Asheville.

We attract amazing talent because of the hiking, rafting, kyaking.  

Let me know.  My DIL is a realtor that has a strong moral compass.  She used to to work with Adult Upward Bound.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus 

The Guild show will be October 14-17.  I always take off the first day and open the show. First show since covid that isn't virtual!

Will you be coming up?

I'd love to spend the day with you and introduce you to some of the artists!!

Rooms go insanely fast!Smiley Happy

@ECBG   Rooms arranged, but coming up depends on DH's schedule.  Will let you know a few weeks ahead, OK?

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG Thank you so much for your excellent and informed response. We have our hotels booked and we are ready to go "neighborhood shopping." The area you are in is apparently experiencing a strong seller's market whereby the houses are way overpriced right now!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

Yes. Our area is somewhat high but I would prefer to be closer to goods and services rather than have to spend a day to get to something.

Also, when we have an emergency,  our ambulance goes to the top hospital, not a small hospital with less equipment. 

This is what I hear from everyone all day.

Valued Contributor

All real estate right now is priced exceptionally high due to the diminished housing inventory. Hopefully it levels out soon. My son is looking to buy but crazy prices in our area are causing him to re-think that decision.