Esteemed Contributor

I received a birth announcement from a good friends daughter , my friends granddaughter.   I have never actually met her daughter when she was growing up we lived in a different state,  the daughter now lives in another state so I won't be seeing her. Her mother and I have been friend since the 3rd grade.    My question is are these types of announcements just typically sent and one Is expected to send  a gift or just to share a picture of the baby?    I have seen photos  of the baby since she was born from my friend. Any thoughts ??

Respected Contributor

Re: Birth announcement Question

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore  That is such an individual decision, but if you and your friend are really good friends and you've known her since the 3rd grade,  I personally would send a gift.  It's a gift that celebrates your friend's joy and your happiness for her.

I had the SAME THING happen about 5 years ago.  My girlfriend since the 7th grade (we were best friends for many many years) let me know that her son, whom I never met (she has lived in a different State since we were in our early 20s) had a baby.....  her first grandchild.   I was THRILLED for her, and sent a gift.  My friend was so appreciative.

Esteemed Contributor

Our nieces and nephews are adults now and have children of their own. We started to get the same thing a couple of years ago. I think the purpose of this is to receive a gift. We have not seen any of these kids because they live on the other coast. Thank heavens I had the presence of mind to stop the engagement gifts, shower gifts after the first baby, etc. or we would be broke. My husband comes from a large family and mine is very small. Very few of the these kids even let you know they received the check/gift and no one sends or texts a "thank you". I just put the announcemnent in the photo album and am done with it. None of them ever acknoweldge our son and grandson. Families.....they give me a migraine.

Respected Contributor

You can respond to the birth announcement as you wish.  If you have never met your friend's daughter I see no reason to send a gift. You might send a greeting card if you are so inclined.  Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

I don't honestly think a gift is expected, it is a personal choice whether or not you choose to send one.  

Honored Contributor

Speaking for myself, if I was good friends with the new mom's grandmother since she sent a birth announcement I would send a gift. You give what you can afford, I would definitely send a card congratulating her on the new baby.

Esteemed Contributor

Obviously your friend gave her daughter your address (for the birth announcement to be mailed). How uncomfortable! Do you know if the couple are financially stable? If so, I would simply send a nice card.

If the couple is struggling, I would have a wonderful child's book sent directly from Barnes & Noble for them to teach the pleasures of reading to their son/daughter. A card would also be sent with a note indicating the book is being sent directly from Barnes and Noble, with my sincere joy for their bundle of joy.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore  Awww, I really didn’t know anyone sent them anymore - it must be their first!  

Our family still does this but the last one was 25 years ago. Hahaha. Therefore, I would be elated to go out to my mailbox and find one there.  As other posters have mentioned you must decide for yourself but it sounds as though they are celebrating joy in their lives and wanted to include you (I’m smiling right now).

You have no obligation to fulfill so don’t worry regardless of what you do or not do.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Between all the "daughters" in this post, I don't understand who sent the announcement but since you never met either the daughter or the grandaughter....it's gift grab.  Sending a birth announcement to people you don't know is ridiculous.  Since they used a stamp, I'd reciprocate and send them a lovely congratulations card.  

Honored Contributor

If it were me the most I would do is send a card of congratulations.