Esteemed Contributor

Re: Birth announcement Question

thank you All for your replies and great suggestions and opinions,  I appreciate it.   The babies grandmother is one if my dearest oldest friends and we do see each other often,  once a month or so.    In fact just went out to dinner with our husbands a couple weeks ago to celebrate our bday's which are a week apart.     She has shared photos through texts and emails since the baby was born and I'm sure she told her daughter that.  I guess I just wasn't sure why the birth announcement when I of course already knew the little girl was born,  my friend called me the day after she was.  I have decided to give my friend a little gift to give her when she goes down to visit next. 

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

I sent out birth announcements when my DS was born 25 years ago.  I only wanted to share my joy with people from my hometown. (We’re a military family). I never expected or wanted any gifts, and would be mortified if people thought that is why I sent the announcements. That’s what baby showers are for. 

@Ladylaughsalot 

i sent out birth announcement for all three of my children 20+ years ago. i was just so happy and that i wanted to share the news with everyone! i did not expect gifts because of an announcement. people did bring gifts to the shower AND people who visited me at home brought gifts for the baby and gifts of food. some of my mothers friends brought her "grandmother gifts." some of our customers brought gifts to our place of business.

i have said this before. the only time i hear the term "gift grab" is on these forums. when i want to give a gift, i do. if i dont want to give a gift, i dont. i dont let a card sway me one way or another.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

I sent out birth announcements when my DS was born 25 years ago.  I only wanted to share my joy with people from my hometown. (We’re a military family). I never expected or wanted any gifts, and would be mortified if people thought that is why I sent the announcements. That’s what baby showers are for. 

@Ladylaughsalot 

i sent out birth announcement for all three of my children 20+ years ago. i was just so happy and that i wanted to share the news with everyone! i did not expect gifts because of an announcement. people did bring gifts to the shower AND people who visited me at home brought gifts for the baby and gifts of food. some of my mothers friends brought her "grandmother gifts." some of our customers brought gifts to our place of business.

i have said this before. the only time i hear the term "gift grab" is on these forums. when i want to give a gift, i do. if i dont want to give a gift, i dont. i dont let a card sway me one way or another.

I also sent an announcement for my first born, because we were living in a different state than friends and relatives. Gift Grab? Hardly! I had just been given the most amazing gift of my life. It was just a way to share our joy.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore   I tend to be a giver, especially at the birth of a baby.  Usually I send a card with a check if the family is far away. If I am going to see the baby, I’ll bring a gift.  

With so much heartbreak in the world, I like to celebrate something so wonderful as a new life which brings promise for the future. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Trusted Contributor

In honor of the long term friendship with your friend, I would send a gift. Good friends celebrate good things that happen in each other lives. I'm sure she would be touched and you get to do a nice thing for the new family. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore I think YOUR friend wants you to congratulate her!  Make sure you give her a joyous congratulations!  You can send a gift for the child or not as you wish.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot Did you specify "No gifts please?"  If not, people assume you want a gift. 

I really think people in this post are overthinking it.  If I received such a card, I like to make my own decision whether to send a gift or not.  If she wanted a gift, the announcement would have included the info on the gift registry, and then the recipent would know, and make her own decision.  Sometimes an announcement is just a way to connect.  So connect back if you would like!

Honored Contributor

These announcements do not require gifting. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1 wrote:

@Kitty Galore  That is such an individual decision, but if you and your friend are really good friends and you've known her since the 3rd grade,  I personally would send a gift.  It's a gift that celebrates your friend's joy and your happiness for her.

I had the SAME THING happen about 5 years ago.  My girlfriend since the 7th grade (we were best friends for many many years) let me know that her son, whom I never met (she has lived in a different State since we were in our early 20s) had a baby.....  her first grandchild.   I was THRILLED for her, and sent a gift.  My friend was so appreciative.

@nyc1  Her friend isn't the one who had the baby.  Her friend was letting her know that she'd become a grandmother (again?). 

@Kitty Galore  Send a gift if you want to.  But if it was me, I'd send one celebrating the grandmother...there are little gift books and other clutter extolling the joys of being a grandmother. 

A gift for the child of a person she's never met?  Seriously???

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

@Kitty Galore   I tend to be a giver, especially at the birth of a baby.  Usually I send a card with a check if the family is far away. If I am going to see the baby, I’ll bring a gift.  

With so much heartbreak in the world, I like to celebrate something so wonderful as a new life which brings promise for the future. 

Keep in mind...the people bringing heartbreak to the world were once babies with promise for the future.

Keepin' it real.