Honored Contributor

Re: Baby pictures

[ Edited ]

I am the oldest. ( I do have a half sister who is 16 years older) there are baby pictures of me from my birth onward, but not many. Most of them are me being held by a family member or a posed family photo with mom and dad and my sister.

I have a younger sister and two brothers. There are baby pictures of them, but it seems like once they were a year old, all the pictures were of all of us children together professionally taken, mostly at Christmas time.

I have three children.  There are a ton of pictures of my first one as a baby.  She was the first grandchild on my side and the first granddaughter and second grandchild  on my DH's side.  

I do not have as many pictures of our sons.  I guess we were too busy and life was hectic.  My boys are 14 months apart in age.

My DH had a 8mm movie camera.  He filmed our daughter's first birthday party with her sitting in a high chair attacking a small cake.  We were shocked to see the same thing on the film, but she was older.  Her first and second birthday were on the same film.  He hadn't used the camera for a whole year.

I don't think we have any 8mm movies of our sons. 

I think film was expensive back then, plus you had to have your film developed.  Many rolls of film never made it to be developed and some pictures didn't turn out. I found a box of old film a few years ago that was never developed.  I wonder what's on it.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom was an avid picture taker.   There are 3 of us and we all have about the same amount of pictures when we were infants.   Tons of birthday and Christmas photos growing up.   She drove everyone crazy with her camera but I guess we were lucky she did that as many of my relatives don't have any pictures of their families.   After my mom passed away we started to give some out to them and they were thrilled.  My brother has boxes of photo albums in storage, he keeps saying one of these days he will scan them onto discs.........not sure if and when that will happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have seen baby pictures of myself but not many...not many young childhood photos either. 

The few that do exist my mother was very stingy about  giving me any or even looking for them to show me.  I finally convinced her about ten years ago to give them to me for an afternoon and I would make copies of them...so different from me and my own kids!

ETA: After going back & reading the replies I see that it wasn't unusual for the Boomer generation (I'm 66) to have few photos of themselves.

Honored Contributor

I never thought about it, but no, there isn't a one, not until we went to see Santa Claus that is.  Well, there are a couple snapshots but no studio pics.  Then there's my daughter, the first grandchild on both sides.  One great grandmother had her entire entrace hall papered with pics of her.  I used to call it The Shrine.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i have baby pix of me but my sister got the home movies. my Dad was a camera junkie. we got them converted to DVD.   she was really adorable. a star was born ...sis was the blonde bombshell. i hate watching them. you can see i was massively insecure.  hard to watch. even my teen niece at the time  neice noticed it.