Honored Contributor

Re: Baby pictures

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

No baby pictures of myself or my 3 older sisters. My mom didn't have money for a camera. That's the only reason I can think of for that. I have only 1 of my sisters still alive, and she has never seen any either, and thinks the same thing as I do.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There are a few professional prints of me in a christening outfit, then one of a 1 year old with curls holding car keys.  

I was told the only way I would let them take a picture was if I held the keys to go.

The rest of the pictures I'm 5 or 6.

Honored Contributor

My siblings & I each have our own baby picture albums.  The very first picture in each album is the requisite pic:  At a couple months old (3-4 months) laying on my stomach on a blanket spread out on a couch buck nakkid looking dead in the camera.  Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one new born picture and it's not in great shape. The next picture I was under 2 years old. Then all my school pictures.

Honored Contributor

I also have ZERO childhood pictures of myself (at any age).

My mother (I use that term loosely) didn't like me and when she was in one of her manic moods, she would take my pictures off the wall and throw them outside in the yard to be rained on or just destroy them.

There's plenty of my 3 siblings.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I was on 16 mm projector film coming out of the hospital which was then transferred to VHS tape and finally transferred to a DVD. Also still photos of me in a carriage at the beach at around 6 months.  Funny thing is I can remember the feeling of that day. I've described to my mom how hot I remember feeling, laying there in the carriage and looking up at the plaid colors of the hood made brighter by the sun.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Only one or 2 photos of me as a baby.  I am the third of three and my parents wanted only one child.  Lots of pictures of that child!  Less than a handful of pictures of me until I got a camera in high school.  Only headshots taken by a photographer in school.  I don't know if my parents had a camera.  I did events and extracurricular activities throughtout my childhood and have zero pictures.  My mother only attended some of these events.  I would be sent on my own.  My oldest sibling received a camera from a relative as a gift before I had a camera and took pictures, but she kept the pictures to herself.  Less than a handful include me.  My sibling thinks it s too difficult to make copies and share the pictures, so I let it go.

Super Contributor

WOW!  Some of these stories are pretty sad.  I was the oldest, born in '39 and my only sibling is five years younger, so there are pictures of both of us.  My own children however had fewer pictures taken as each of the three came along.  I married very young and we didn't have much money and three babies in three years.  So each one has fewer pictures than the previous one.  It wasn't that we loved one more then the other we just couldn't afford a camera or pictures for the first few years.  Although there are early pictures of each, and I'm soooo glad for that.  I was just looking at them a few days ago, so sweet.  They are 61, 62 and 63 now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was the second born child, my brother was nine years older than me.   I don't ever remember seeing pictures of me when I was a newborn but I do remember pictures of me when I was about two or three.  My dad used to have a Studebaker Champion and I guess I really liked that car because there was lots of pictures of me sitting on it.  There was also lots of pictures of me with our family dog, a Beagle named Queenie.

I do remember my mother taking me to a hair stylist who had a salon in her home and getting me a permanent wave that made me look like Little Orphan Annie.  I was about four years old and for some reason they had a 8X10 picture taken of me with that horrible hair style and for most of my life that picture sat on my parent's dresser.    Every time I looked at it I was horrified. I used to ask my Mom how could you have done that to me.  Lol!

Honored Contributor
My family was not big on pictures, period. They do exist, and I have seen them numerous times, but have no real interest in them. Am sure they will surface once something happens to mom, and I will decide what to do with them then.

I confess to not having much interest in baby pictures. I did work hard to record things in my daughter's baby books.