Respected Contributor

I'm a little confused on how to apply for social security.i am 65 and live in ill.where do I begin?I plan on going to the local ss office.what do I need to bring for id?ID? Do I bring my ss card with?I hope they will help me,because I do not have a computer at home,just the library where I work.not to mention,not sure if I will understand setting it up.will they tell me how much Ican get and if I can continue to work.also,can I draw off of my ex s ss?I'm just so over welmed.i appreciate all responds qvc friends

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam - call your local SS office, make an appointment, ask them what you need to bring with you and go from there. They should be able to answer all of your questions when you meet with them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Applying for ss

[ Edited ]

@Luvsmyfam   It's actually quite easy. A lot of SS offices are still closed to the public due to Covid. Call the 800 number.It's 800-772-1213. They will make a telephone appointment for you for a convenient day & time. Someone will call you at that time.They are very helpful & will answer all your questions. Just have your SS number handy.

Both DH & I signed up this way .It was very easy!! No need to stress.

Respected Contributor

thank you frostybabe.i wonder if you wait forever to speak to a agent?I appreciate you responding

Frequent Contributor

I'm in the process of applying for ss. I would call your local office to set up an appt. I called and my local office is doing phone interviews only. They will tell you what you need as far as ss card,etc. I live in Tx so it could be different where you live.I hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

As Frosty Babe said:  make an appointment with the social security office.  When you do, they will tell you what you need to bring--birth certificate, social security card, etc.  They will tell you how much you are entitled to and answer all your other questions.  Don't worry!

Respected Contributor

that is really good to know.im not the smartest when it comes for computer things,plus I only have a tablet  to work on

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   If you call at 8 am when the lines open the wait is only about 10 minutes.

Respected Contributor

thank you kaydee50.appreciate your respond

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

thank you frostybabe.i wonder if you wait forever to speak to a agent?I appreciate you responding

I really have no idea about that.

It's unfortunate that you're not able to apply on-line. My older sister just applied that way and she said it only took 20 minutes. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~