Respected Contributor

Any Human Resources experts here?

There've been a lot of mgmt changes on my job .. all of them for obvious reasons, so, no one had to ask "why".  We were just relieved that the powers that be were "cleaning house" .. finally.

We got a new manager (from "outside", not promoted "from within") but, after 2 weeks, she just disappeared.

All I got was an email from her stating to forward all my inquiries to someone else.

When I got to work she was gone.

I asked 2 people "what happened" because .. those 2 people would know.

They both told me UNCONVINCINGLY, they didn't know.

Before leaving work that day, I asked the 2nd person IF he knew what happened.

He just got his usual sheepish look and said, "sum'in' sum'in".  

(eyeroll)

No "notice"????

Personally, I would never leave a job without giving 2 weeks notice.

I just think this is weird.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Any Human Resources experts here?

Maybe she was told to leave immediately.

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes it's just not a good fit for either side or a person has a personal issue.  It could have been a mutual decision too.

I have also had employees give me two weeks' notice and decided to let them leave immediately due to situations like this where someone was new and there was no merit in having them stay.  

The only thing I know for sure is I wouldn't make it my business to ask anyone.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems to me that she either did something or management found out something about her and she was told to leave.  I doubt that it was her choice.

And it is unlikely that you will ever find out the real reason for her departure.

Esteemed Contributor

Something similar happened at work on the 29th but she had been there 16 years. She was let go Wednesday after 5p and no one is saying anything. I feel for her. 

Frequent Contributor

She would still have been in a probationary period, so in some places all rules may not apply.  And, you may never know what happened, especially for the immediate future. Be professional and don't discuss it going forward.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina , there are lots of cases where people and jobs part company without two weeks notice.  Usually management's decision at the end of the day or mutual.

I disagree to those that say you won't find out.  You usually do.  The office gossip usually gets the story one way or another.  LM

Honored Contributor

They probably figured, rightfully so, that the reason she left was nobody else's business.  Personnel matters are confidential.  Move on and forget about it.  You don't need to know everything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

She could've gotten a job offer that came up during her search that was better for her, why stay ay her current job  it would make her a lame duck your company wouldn't want to keep her. ...or perhaps she failed a drug test. That happened at my company. We hired a director  but he ended up not starting because he ended up testing positive for pot, the idiot. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've left without  notice a couple of times in the past with no negative consequences.

Thinking like a boss,, if someone didn't want to work for me, why make them stay 2 weeks.  2 weeks is not enough time to find a replacement, then THEY have to give notice?

When I retired, I gave 2 MONTHS notice.   Still didn't have my replacement.  They asked me to stay.  I laughed hysterically.

In any case where someone left "suddenly" is was usually because they were caught doing something against the rules.    

To speculate is office gossip, don't be a victim