Honored Contributor

Re: Any Human Resources experts here?

In recent years, professionalism and communication do not have any place at all in the workplace anymore.  It's the reason everything is such a mess.

Regular Contributor

As a manager even I am not informed of details when another manager in my division suddenly is gone. So, if you don't need to know you will never know and I wouldn't recommend asking or listening to the office gossip.  I think we all have enough drama in our lives, no need to find more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't need HR experts for this.  She came from outside and it just wasn't working.  Either she decided she wanted out or her bosses decided to oust her or it was a mutual decision.  She was gone.  There was no reason for her or anyone else to tell you.  If it concerned you, you would have known.  I've been with my employer for over 25 years and I have seen that scenario happen with a new manager 3 times.  It took longer than two weeks, more like 2 or 3 months but you pass their office door in the evening and say "good night" and you never see them again.  The next morning their personal affects are gone from their office and senior management just says that they "are no longer with us". If you work closely with that person, you know why.  But, no one says anything to the people who ask "what happened" because answering is gossip and gossip is not good for any company and reflects poorly on the person who starts it.  In this case, she'd only been there 2 weeks, giving 2 weeks notice would have been ridiculous and most employers would not even accept it.  I've seen that happen with support staff and administrative staff too.  They haven't been there long enough to know where all the bathrooms are yet.  Whatever their reasons are for leaving, 2 weeks notice is silly for someone who has only worked for 3 weeks.  You wish them well, tell them that HR will send them what is owed them  and tell them that there is no reason to return.  Even with some workers who quit after several months, my employer will sometimes accept the two week notice,  pay them for  the two weeks but tell them not to come in anymore.      

Honored Contributor

Maybe she decided the job wasn't for her, gave notice and they told her to leave immediately.

Maybe she misrepresented herself and they let her go.

Who knows what the reasoning behind it was but apparently they felt you didn't need to be in the loop.

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

In recent years, professionalism and communication do not have any place at all in the workplace anymore.  It's the reason everything is such a mess.

@Laura14, what do you think was unprofessional or non-communicative in this situation?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 If a manager suddenly goes missing, it would be nice for those who remain in that department to be in the know as far as what the new chain of command is.  I'd like not to guess and it helps me service the clientele.  We don't need personal details but a basic common courtesy of this one is no more and this is who can help you in the meantime seems to be basic common sense and good business to me.  If it affects me, I deserve at least a heads up.   Call me old fashioned and a person with manners.

Honored Contributor

Obviously it is someone's desire to keep it all confidential.  This type of thing is not that uncommon.  It is not up for guessing and gossip or speculation.  Drop it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

It happens. Get over it!

Honored Contributor

If you were supposed to know the details, you would have been told.  Since you haven't been told, then I suggest you drop it.