Honored Contributor

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

Everyone is late every now and then.

However, I TRY very hard not to be late.  I see being late habitually (whoa!  A big word...Ha) 

Then you are saying, "My time is more important than your's."  

Plain and simple.  It doesn't bother me if people are late, but after 20 minutes or so, I start getting a bit angry.

I have a friend I eat with all of the time who flips a lid if you are even right on the minute (she wants me early).

Just yesterday I (like often) was right on the minute).  On my way there (10 minutes before) she calls me and asks me where I am.

I said, "It's not 12:00 yet, I'll be there right at 12:00, that's what we agreed upon...right?"  She said, "Well, yes but I thought maybe you'd be a little early".

I explained a bird had pooped on my door and right all over the handle so I had to get some water, find a rag and actually wipe off the handle before I could get into my car.

That's the hones truth.  But even with that, I wasn't late, just right on time.

So, often if it's a reason that can't help, sometimes if you explain and it isn't often, people should over look it.  But if it's all of the time in my opinion you are technically saying, "My time is more important than your's.  What I was doing was more important to me than allowing for My problem so I could get to you on time".

That's what I try to do.  If I have packages to carry to my car to run an errand after lunch, I leave early to get into the garage, so I can meet up with her.

It's all about time management most of the time.  I'm not the best at it but I try.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

You're mama raised you right!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina I really liked it. There's a thread about the movie on theTV and Movies forum. If the "F" word didn't exist, they'd have precious little dialog LOL!

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@RinaRina I really liked it. There's a thread about the movie on theTV and Movies forum. If the "F" word didn't exist, they'd have precious little dialog LOL!

There was also an interesting 20 minute discussion at the end of the film with Scorcese and the actors.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina said:

At 6:15PM, I ran into her in the hall and asked if "now is okay".

She said "no" because she'd just finished up with the first "two people", but had to meet with another team because they had an emergency with another team member.  (That team member had already told me earlier (in confidence) she was turning in her "notice".)

I did NOT want to stay after 6:30 PM, so, I said, "okay we can talk tomorrow".

She said she couldn't because she was going out of town for Thanksgiving.

I said, "okay, then, I'll see you when you get back."

I thought I was being nice .. and agreeable.  THEN I SAW THE MOVIE and that line stuck with me.  Woman Frustrated

Aww, too bad you saw that movie and then started feeling insecure about whether she respects you! It sounds to me that all is well. I think what you said was excellent. (Nothing for you to take personally or feel bad about yourself, in my opinion. That line in the movie just hit a nerve, that's all.) 

The day before a long holiday weekend is always nuts, everyone running around, and she did have a good reason for not meeting with you at that time --  but she hadn't had time to get back to you.

In my best "mobsta"voice: "Hey, fuggedaboudit! Relax! You're dune good."  Smiley Happy

Now I want to see that movie!

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Yeesh. I know there's no perfection in relationships, but your meal buddy sounds pretty intense and, well, demanding. (And I'm trying to be kind! lol) The bird poop explanation cracked me up. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina   That is just a Mafioso's  idea of Respect and they do not think like the rest of us obviously.  That sentence was for the movie and has no relation to normal life.  

Certainly does not mean your manager does not respect you.  This was just a case of cramped scheduling compounded by the Thanksgiving Holiday.  No worries.

Honored Contributor

You didn't have a meeting scheduled with her, you said the time was "unpecified" and that happens in business but since no time has been agreed upon;  it happens whenever the two parties can make the time.  Depending upon the severity of the issue, when I was a manager, it could have happened at 6am or 8pm.  If I was availble and the party wasn't, I would assume it wasn't that important to the other person and we could schedule meeting at some other time.  It isn't a matter of respect for that person.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@RinaRina  .... How can you be late for a meeting that has an "unspecified" time?

============================================================

My meeting did NOT occur.   The window of time available was very short ....The manager showed up at the facility around 5:45PM, and we close at 6:30PM.   Personally, I consider that poor time management.  But in the movie, Jimmy Hoffa called it "a lack of respect".

However, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt.  If it's Thanksgiving week and you're swamped and overscheduled .... then okay.

As I said, I thought I was being polite and agreeable.  Then, I saw the movie ... and felt I was a low priority.  It's kind of insulting to tell someone you're going to meet with them ... and then, run out of time .. and can't.

You didn't have a meeting scheduled with the other person,  it was going to be a drop in meeting unscheduled meeting that you both agreed to and YOU were the one who wouldn't stay past 6:30 so you have absolutely nothing to complain about.  It's not like 6:30 is the middle of the night.   The other party wasn't going to change her holiday plans to accommodate you so she did.  Rescheduling was the only option. 

Esteemed Contributor

If we disregard the matter of timing and/or movie quotes, there is a puzzle here.

In what work environment can one request/demand that a manager first speak with two other employees individually and only then meet with me?

I think that request would to be turned down as inappropriate in any place I worked.