Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,341
Registered: ‎04-19-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

Sometimes stuff happens and people are late. Has nothing to do with respect. Unless it is a habit, don't read too much into it.


-- pro-aging --


Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,120
Registered: ‎03-29-2019

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?


@RinaRina wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

 

She asked to meet with you earlier, but you dodged it.  < NOT TRUE>

 

Now it becomes incumbent upon you to wait.

Even if that means after 6:30.


===================================

 

Sorry I did not make that clear in the original message.

I should've said, it had been pre-arranged before I went to work .... that she would meet with the other 2 people first, then me.

However, I understand your point about staying after 6:30PM.

Basically, you're saying, if I wanted to meet that badly, then I should've been willing to stay after 6:30PM.

I hate to sound unreasonable, but if I'm such a "low-priority", why should I?

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Well, I guess if that is your attitude, then the meeting really wasn't all that important to you, was it?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,030
Registered: ‎10-03-2014

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

I agree if someone is late for a meeting without a VERY GOOD reason, then, yes, it is disrespectful, but it says more about the late person than it does about others.

 

But, you said the meeting was (at an unspecified time.)  Was it unspecified?  It sounds like the meeting with you was to be held before the end of the work day; which was fast approaching.  That sounds like scheduled to me.  

 

It may have only taken a few minutes or 15 minutes to see you depending on the issue.  She could have given you that.  

 

Does she do this sort of thing often?  If she contacts you when she returns to work, then OK, but if you must remind her of your meeting, then I might consider her behavior disrespectful.  It's important to you, but may not be to her.  

 

Next time, agree to a definitive time. 

 

Suggestion:  Regardless of what she does, don't let her define your self-worth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,788
Registered: ‎08-18-2016

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?


@Allegheny wrote:

Back in the day when that movie would have taken place,  I agree it would have been a measure of disrespect to be late for a one-on-one meeting or even a group meeting.

 

Today it is almost considered "no big deal" to be late or even a no show for appointments.  Many times without even a courtesy phone call.

 

Personally I still consider it inconsiderate, however I understand and accept certain circumstances.


 

    Not in my life.

abt 5 yrs ago:

On my way to a morning meeting.

Allowed myself 20 extra minutes travel time for the 'unexpected'.

 

Detour takes me miles out of my way. Accident on the detour backs up traffic.

I arrived and sat down just as the head guy was about to welcome us.

 

He turned to glare at me, presumably for arriving at the last minute, before starting his address.

He started with the subject of the discourtesy of arriving late to meetings.

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 517
Registered: ‎06-19-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

I guess I'm the only nosy one wondering more about what the issue is that needs to be discussed than the analytical question.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,118
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

[ Edited ]

"...She said "no" because she'd just finished up with the first "two people", but had to meet with another team because they had an emergency with another team member...."

 

To me, by definition an "emergency" is unexpected and takes precedence.  I don't see how an upper level manager would be considered rude or disrespectful to a lower level employee by seeing to an emergency first.  

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,471
Registered: ‎10-10-2019

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

@DearPrudence  ..... I was wondering too just wasn't brave enough to ask!!!! Thank you for stepping forward and asking. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,765
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?

Geesh!  I went back to the movie

Robert Deniro is such a good actor.

I'm at the part where Joe Pesci tells Deniro he can't meet w/ Hoffa because he'll be killed.

The expression on DeNiro's face is priceless!

 

"The Irishman" - Watch it if you haven't!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,979
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?


@x Hedge wrote:

 

    Not in my life.

abt 5 yrs ago:

On my way to a morning meeting.

Allowed myself 20 extra minutes travel time for the 'unexpected'.

 

Detour takes me miles out of my way. Accident on the detour backs up traffic.

I arrived and sat down just as the head guy was about to welcome us.

 

He turned to glare at me, presumably for arriving at the last minute, before starting his address.

He started with the subject of the discourtesy of arriving late to meetings.

 


Well that was quite rude on his part.  In my opinion, a balanced and secure professional doesn't go off on a tangent.  (Though in my career I have seen it a few times.)

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,892
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Analytical Question - What does this mean?


@DearPrudence wrote:

I guess I'm the only nosy one wondering more about what the issue is that needs to be discussed than the analytical question.


Based upon posters past issues, nothing that important.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.