Honored Contributor

Re: You can sterilize N95 in rice cooker

@patbz wrote:

They didn't mention adding water but don't forget to put a towel in first!

No water. Dry heat only. They did not use a rice cooker. They used a Farberware Multicooker. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have three rice cookers and this doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

@Sooner @The title of the thread is a bit misleading and might cause confusion because regular rice cookers use water. The study did not use a rice cooker. They used a multi cooker and did no pot add any water. They heated masks using DRY heat to kill the virus. The lid of the cooker was on. If you read my post here in this thread it might be clearer. There's also a link to the original article which explains everything the researchers did and why they did it. They also posted a video demonstrating what they did. You can watch it through the link on my post.

It still makes no sense to me because you do not know the temperature of the inside of a rice cooker.  Why now use an oven for dry heat?  Or the inside of a dryer?  Why a rice cooker of all things?  How would you know?  What temp is necessary and for how long?  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have three rice cookers and this doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

@Sooner @The title of the thread is a bit misleading and might cause confusion because regular rice cookers use water. The study did not use a rice cooker. They used a multi cooker and did no pot add any water. They heated masks using DRY heat to kill the virus. The lid of the cooker was on. If you read my post here in this thread it might be clearer. There's also a link to the original article which explains everything the researchers did and why they did it. They also posted a video demonstrating what they did. You can watch it through the link on my post.

It still makes no sense to me because you do not know the temperature of the inside of a rice cooker.  Why now use an oven for dry heat?  Or the inside of a dryer?  Why a rice cooker of all things?  How would you know?  What temp is necessary and for how long?  

It's not a rice cooker. The OP got it wrong. Misread the WaPo article. See MindyD's references, they're right. You can read the study.

It's 212 degrees for 50 minutes. You have to be able to check the temp of the mask throughout the process, which makes me wonder how practical it would be for regular people. They also advise against using the cooker (NOT A RICE COOKER) for food after doing this.

We just need a reliable supply of genuine N95s. Then we can stop this goofball nonsense.

Trusted Contributor

I will pass.  I use my rice cooker for rice and that is all.