Esteemed Contributor

i have arthrits and a skin condition called hidradenitis....tumeric is recommended for both....thought i might give it a try....since i get no relief from prescriptions...but how do i know how much to take.....and have any of you had positive results with either of my medical issues....any help will be appreciated....i'm at my wit's end.....

Honored Contributor

@nana59 JMO but I don't take **anything** w/out talking to my PCP and/or my oncologist.

I suggest you do the same. Maybe you'll get some responses here but honestly, none of us knows your medical history.

Please consult someone with medical knowledge.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@nana59 JMO but I don't take **anything** w/out talking to my PCP and/or my oncologist.

I suggest you do the same. Maybe you'll get some responses here but honestly, none of us knows your medical history.

Please consult someone with medical knowledge.

thank you....

Respected Contributor

I have taken turmeric curcumen capsules for about 4 years...one capsule, 500 mg daily.  I get mine online from Piping Rock....but they are easily available elsewhere.

i was getting the beginnings of arthritis pain in my knees and fingers.  I no longer have that pain.

My doctor knows I take it, and said if it works for me...keep taking it.

Super Contributor

If you do, you need to take it with pepper, because that helps the body absorb it.

You could just start cooking with it and see how that feels. I have some turmeric capsules that incorporate pepper. I think I would get zapped if I would list them here, but if you can 1) consult an expert as other person recommended and 2) look something up online on in a library, you might be well served. Tumeric is a time honored "ingredient" for alleiveating  body inflamation...

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

To reduce inflammation?

Reduction/elimination of animal products, oils, dairy...those are the 

most common causes of inflammation.  A spice isn't going to make

a bit of difference if continuing to eat incorrectly.

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of inflammation and chronic pain from scleroderma. I've been on Rx drugs for this and that...I got off all of it. I did a lot of research about turmeric.  Of all the places I found most useful was Dr. Weil's website. He goes into dosage and types of turmeric supps as well as dietary intake of it as a spice. There are several articles there and lots of informative stuff about turmeric. It's where I learned most of the things I know about turmeric.

Honored Contributor

Any of the major pharmacies carry it in the supplement aisle. Buy a bottle and follow the recommended dosage. You'll know if it helps. 

Honored Contributor

I buy Vitacost brand from their website, each cap is 900 mg, and standardized to 95% Curcumins, that is very important, some brands may cost less but not this potent or same quality. My DH and I each take one per day. Also contains 5 mg Bio Perine, which is black pepper to increase absorption, another quality factor. 

Honored Contributor

Also, I read some time back that for the best efficacy, one should use a Turmeric supplement that also has pepper in it.   I get one from Amazon that is Naturewise brand Curcumin (turmeric).

It also has the black pepper extract.

I take one capsule daily.  It says three caps, at 2,250mg, but I just take one so it's whatever 1/3 of 2,250 would be.

Sometimes I think they have you use more than you need so that you will buy more, obviously.   I might have started out a little higher and then just reduced after a while.  I do that with some things just to get the cost down and still be effective.

This Naturewise product is also, FWIW, organic and vegetarian.  Smiley Happy