Honored Contributor

It should get better now!  Smiley Happy   I imagine you are also probably tired of being patient - I get that, too!

In my experience, a root canal was a two-visit thing, just by nature of the work.  The first visit would be the actual root canal, cleaning it out, etc, and then creating a temporary crown.   Then they order the permanent crown and you come back the next week to have the temp replaced with the permanent one.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It should get better now!  Smiley Happy   I imagine you are also probably tired of being patient - I get that, too!

In my experience, a root canal was a two-visit thing, just by nature of the work.  The first visit would be the actual root canal, cleaning it out, etc, and then creating a temporary crown.   Then they order the permanent crown and you come back the next week to have the temp replaced with the permanent one.

@chickenbutt. Hello! This was a crowned tooth....so they drill through the crown and when done seal it up.....he could not finish the cleaning and sealing today because of all the drainage( infection).  They did a bit of cleaning it out today and temporary sealed it until my visit next week when  hopefully he can finish it when it is not so inflamed.  I just hope the pain gets less over the next few days....I am miserable even on the codine. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I hope you feel better, @SeaMaiden!  It sounds like you lucked out with them able to save the work that was already done on the tooth.  Hopefully in a few days you'll be back to normal.

Honored Contributor

Hi SeaMaiden!  Oh boy, this tooth has been a doozy.  Smiley Sad

I'm wondering if a codeine product is really the best choice for this type of pain.  IMO, there are other choices that would have been better and it's unusual anymore for a dentist or oral surgeon to prescribe codeine.

Furthermore, taking codeine over a  period of time will cause constipation and that's probably another problem you don't need!

If I were he, I would probably prescribe Percocet, unless Vicodin works better for you.   Those are just my thoughts. Smiley Happy   But also,  I sure hope the pain and discomfort subside really soon.   Mouth pain is not only the worst but extended mouth pain is just absolutely unbearable!   But then you already know that.    Best!

Contributor

I have spent my life since 15 with teeth pain. Tuesday,I have oral surgry to remove my tooth. Here goes. Go to Walgreen and get what's called red cross oral pain relief. Get the maximum strength. They sell it over the counter. It works instantly. You may have to use it several times. It works. Without this,there are times I would of never made it until my appts. Check the ingredients for allergies. I have never had a problem. I'm 64  now. Good luck and God bless!