Honored Contributor

Re: Take with food

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

how about a teaspoon of almond butter or peanut butter? 

I thought about that or just maybe a few crackers with peanut butter.

But how much is enough?

I guess my tummy will let me know if it's not enough!

I have such awful digestive problems it's hard to know what's "normal" and what's caused by the meds.

Respected Contributor

Can you eat some crackers and peanut butter or even half a banana, maybe a granola bar?

Anything so you're not taking the medication on a completely empty stomach...

Honored Contributor

@softwareWhen he prescribed a powerful anti-inflammatory for me once, that doctor suggested a half slice of toast would do the foo" job.  I used that in the morning and even sometimes late, too.  Had no stomach problems. 

Honored Contributor

I would eat a bagel-(even half of one).That is always soothing to the stomach I think or toast or English Muffin if you don't have anything else.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@software

In my years of taking various and sundry medications, most do not require taking with food.  However, a few must be taken as such.  I've come to learn, especially with pain pills, that one must avoid a meal heavy in fat.  In fact, a small meal carb-centered enhances absorption thereby bringing the desired pain relief.

I do take meds with the morning with my breakfast, which consists of 1 cup of a gluten-free cereal and 1/2 cup plain almond milk, plus a cup of caffeine-free black tea with just a bit of stevia.  Since my body can no longer tolerate daily, I had to look for a substitute, so my daughter recommended almond or hemp milk.  Tried both, but found that almond milk provided best nutritional value.  And, no issue with my meds.

Respected Contributor

Dairy is fine with meds unless the label says otherwise

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

The only safe things for me to eat early in the morning and leave the house is:  pop tart, toaster strudel, toast with peanut butter, an English muffin with apple butter or strawberry jam, or graham crackers.   

Honored Contributor

The milk thing really confused me. I googled meds to take w/o milk and could not find much. If the person is NOT a diabetic there is lots to eat.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

From what I understand dairy and grapefruit are two things to avoid when taking medications. Not all meds but many. I would avoid these if possible. Other types of food should be referenced on your bottle of medications for possible interference.

Super Contributor

What has always worked for me is Saltines and a bit of sugar free Ginger Ale. I prefer the Saltine minis, they are easier for me because I don't end up with a " crumb collar" from biting into them. That worked for my husband, too, when he needed something.

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!