Honored Contributor

Xiidra eye drops for dry eye???

Anyone try these?  My husband and I currently use Restasis for dry eye. Total waste of time and money.   Restasis has done nothing. 

Our eye doctor suggested switching us to Xiidra. She said people are having good results with it. We're getting the prescriptions filled today. 

Just wondering if anyone is using these drops for dry eyes. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: Xiidra eye drops for dry eye???

Using Restasis for years and it works for me. Sometimes when conditions are extremely dry I supplement with artificial tears.

Hope you find what works for you.

Valued Contributor

Try taking fish oil.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Restasis for 3+ years.  I switched to Lotemax almost 3 years ago.  I find the latter helps my dry eyes more.

When I have my check-up in spring, I will ask about Xiidra.

Honored Contributor

Just an update. Our doctor gave us each a prescription and two of those "get a 30 day supply for free" coupon. We went to CVS. 

Since my husband is on Medicare, Medicare wouldn't authorize the use of the coupon AND his prescription coverage, Express Scripts, doesn't have that as an approved drug. So, a 30 day supply would be $505!!!!!!!  Uh, no...we'll stick with Restasis for him. 

The coupon worked fine for me and I'm picking up my 30 day supply tomorrow for $0. 

I appreciate the suggestion of taking fish oil. I don't eat seafood at all and the thought of taking a fish oil capsule gives me the willies. I just don't think I can do it. Ridiculous I know. 

And thanks for the suggestion of the other drops. I'll look into those also. 

Respected Contributor

I hate the aftertaste from fish oil.  My eye doc recommended flaxseed oil capsules.  I  think they have helped as I gave up restasis a few years ago.  It was expensive even with insurance.  I now use OTC products for dry eyes as needed.

Super Contributor

I started talking Xiidra five days ago so it's to early to tell if it's helping.  I agree that the Restasis was a waste of money.  Didn't help at all.  The doctor said I should see results in about 2 weeks and other patients said it has worked well.   I sure hope it works.  I have to have cataracts removed and they won't do it until I have more tears. Eye sight is not good with dry eyes and cataracts.  Will let you know how it all turns out. With my insurance it cost me $40 for 3 months supply.

Honored Contributor

@shiningstar wrote:

I started talking Xiidra five days ago so it's to early to tell if it's helping.  I agree that the Restasis was a waste of money.  Didn't help at all.  The doctor said I should see results in about 2 weeks and other patients said it has worked well.   I sure hope it works.  I have to have cataracts removed and they won't do it until I have more tears. Eye sight is not good with dry eyes and cataracts.  Will let you know how it all turns out. With my insurance it cost me $40 for 3 months supply.

@shiningstar- thanks. I'm going to start mine tomorrow. I was able to use the coupon for a free 30 day supply. 

Contributor

Try running your husband's script without any insurance coverage and just use the coupon. See what happens. The pharmacy can do this. It may or may not work but it is worth a try.

Super Contributor

OMG i couldn't believe the retail price of this medication.  Cost is $1611.09. I have a 3 month supply. One month free using the card and $40 for two months supply.  Doctor said it was expensive due to it being new.  But that price is crazy!!